After six Month of use my 2TB is very low for Read/Write

corentin

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Hello, i will try to make it clear and not tell alot of useless information

Drive : spec and use
HDD : Western Digital 2TB WD20EADS SATA 32Mb Cache.
Use : Storage only.50% Full atm.
Was working perfectly for 6 month.

The Problem
After 6 month of use i noticed that the hdd had hard time showing what's on it. Now it always take ~1 minute just to show the list of Movies i have on that disk

When i try to extract a dvd (4,3 gb) on the HDD himself it start at 60ish MB / Sec then Drop to 500K-2Mb whitin a time of 2-3 mins.
When i try to extract a regular AVI movie (700 MB) it drop to 2-4mb sec

What i did
I've runned HD Tune and /cmd chkdsk. None of them reported bad sector altought HD TUNE say there's a High (C5) Current Pending Sector (Value = 16). The result of HD tune is really strange :

Min 0.0 Mbs
Max 106 Mbs
Average 70 Mbs

(I have many screenshot if required)

The HDD went himself to PIO Mode but i've set it to DMA again and it didn't solve my problem.
I tried different Sata Cable (3x) nothing changed.
The whole problem started on VISTA and i'm now on Windows 7 and it's still the same problem.

corentin

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Dang !

Well i started doing back up and i'm quite surprised!
The transfert rate is actually pretty good (30Mbs to 60 Mbs)

I would like to include my benchmark test.
2zolpnb.png

corentin

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Ty for that great idea,

here are the results of the benchmark in safe mode.
i tought it will be a good idea to add the screenshot of Health Screen. Anyway if someone can help me with the Warning i have, it would be awesome :)

1zxr2j4.png

1zqx3ds.png

Also did some test :

- Copying Data from SLOW HDD to REGULAR HDD is working well (getting more than 60mb/s).
- Copying Data from REGULAR HDD to SLOW HDD is working SLOW but act strangely : it start at decent high speed (50+mbs) then it drop <2mbs.
- Deleting Data from SLOW HDD do not take huge time, but right clicking on the file i want to delete // copy take a large amount of time (5-10 seconds instead of instantly, this was tested on a 2meg file.)

Finnaly, i noticed the acces time (yellow dots on benchmarks) was pretttttty slow to spawn on SLOW HDD. When i use benchmark on my REGULAR HDD those yellow dots spawned pretty fastly.

On the side, i e-mailed WD and they told me that they do not give support for third party program and that i should go ask question on forums like... Tom's Hardware... GG service -_-

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
First make sure you don't have any gadgets showing smart data like HDD real time temperatures. Second disable indexing on that drive. And do a defrag using auslogics disk defragmenter is fast and free.

corentin

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010

Ok so i double checked, and Service indexor isn't running on my PC. I was unable to check for specific drive but since it's not running it shouldn't be a problem.

I was unable to find any Gadget for hdd temperature, and i don't use windows side gadget thing.

I finally downloaded that sweet defragmenter.
My 500 Gb HDD 80% full was defragmented in less than 5 minutes with that tool
When it comes to the 2TB it's so slow :/. As I already said, i'm using large files (4.3 gbs) the symptom is the same, Start fast to defrag 1 file then slow Down alot.
In the case of Auslogics defrag, it checks clusters (let's say that the files i have have 70 000 clusters) The 12000 first cluster are super fast (like 1000-2000 or so per sec), then it crashes to 50ish cluster per second.

I'm currently backing up every data i have there, and will do a full defrag // format.
will post later with result.

corentin

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
This HDD is now empty.
i repartitioned everything and run WD lifeguard extended test.
When i had 1tb of stock on the HDD this test was running very slow.
Whitout any data, it took 7 hours.
Sadly there's no improvement, my HDD is still slow for writing // reading data on it.

I guess i'll have to RMA it