Sign in with
Your question

My laptop just doesn\'t display sometimes but it does sometimes what could be th

Last response: in Windows XP
September 12, 2011 7:49:40 AM

i have an ibm t40notebook which i am having issues with its display.
at times the display on the screen is ok but sometimes it doesn't display anything.now the problem has gone further to not detecting the hard disk anymore when i try to boot from cd rom i get the following messages
>memory overflow
>ntldr not found
plz help what could be the problem?

More about : laptop display

a b D Laptop
September 12, 2011 8:19:05 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

When you boot from CD ROM and see NTLDR not found it's because the boot failed and the system went on to search the hard disk. When you say the screen sometimes doesn't show anything, is that literally anything or some white writing on the black screen? Can you access the BIOS menus?

m
l
September 15, 2011 12:20:58 PM

Saga Lout said:

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

When you boot from CD ROM and see NTLDR not found it's because the boot failed and the system went on to search the hard disk. When you say the screen sometimes doesn't show anything, is that literally anything or some white writing on the black screen? Can you access the BIOS menus?

yes i can access the bios menu only when the screen can show something.its my guess that it could be having issues with the chipset since i have diagnosed all attached drives +processor and memory& they are all working well.how do i remount this chipset that could be loose?will that find a lasting solution or it's going to reoccur since i haven't solved its cause?
m
l
Related resources
September 16, 2011 12:34:39 AM

If your chipset had an issue, nothing would happen, maybe a beeping sound, it sounds like your os is fried..

Reset Bios settings, and complete a boot test, and a mem test and get back to us..

m
l
a b D Laptop
September 16, 2011 6:08:44 AM

I agree with Combat Wombat but suggest an alternative way of testing. Download a version of Linux and burn it to CD to run it live in the laptop without impacting on the hard disk. It will show if the hardware is working well in spite of Windows and you could also use Linux to rescue your files prior to a reinstall of XP or to float a new graphics driver in. The IBM/Lenova website will help you there.

Try PCLinuxOS from http://www.pclinuxos.com and use ImgBurn to make a bootable CD.

m
l
September 16, 2011 6:36:13 AM

Re: Screen showing nothing at all...

Many laptops use a magnetic reed switch to detect the lid is closed and turn off the backlight.

The magnet is in the lid, the switch is below the keyboard.

If the reed switch become permanently magnetized and stays closed (they do that sometimes), the backlight will not come on since the switch is open when the lid is up and 'closed to kill' when the lid is down. Swiping a decently strong magnet across the front, top edge of the laptop may bring the light back on, at least temporarily. You can swipe a paper clip across the top of the lid to search for the magnet as well to determine where it is and from that, where it acts on the reed switch in the computer.

IBM may have used a mechanical switch on that machine, but if you can't find a physical switch, it probably uses the magnetic switch.

My 2 cents.

m
l
November 16, 2011 9:01:51 PM

Saga Lout said:

I agree with Combat Wombat but suggest an alternative way of testing. Download a version of Linux and burn it to CD to run it live in the laptop without impacting on the hard disk. It will show if the hardware is working well in spite of Windows and you could also use Linux to rescue your files prior to a reinstall of XP or to float a new graphics driver in. The IBM/Lenova website will help you there.

Try PCLinuxOS from http://www.pclinuxos.com and use ImgBurn to make a bootable CD.

Swis idea..

Do you have the knowledge to complete this though..?
m
l
!