Status
Not open for further replies.

TerminatorXT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Most of you may have heard that Intel will be releasing the 6 core nehalem version of the i7
It is said to be called i9

I currently have a Q6600 B3 @ stock speeds and want to upgrade to the upcoming Gulftown processors

How much of a performance increase will I see and what price range can I expect

and has Intel talked about the X68 chipset yet, if they're developing one and if they have will it have USB 3.0?

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007

They are going run 4500MHz @ .8v (stock), Overclock to 7+GHz and cost $89.99 and come with free Motherboard fitted with 12GB of DDR4-3000

I hate questions like this...NO ONE CAN GIVE A DEFINITIVE ANSWER until the processor is actually in the hands of reviewers...anything else is speculation and worthless...most users barely need 4 cores now, let alone 6 cores...if you want to upgrade or want a new machine, don't wait for "what might be" order the best system you can afford today!

TerminatorXT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

well my mistake,

if you want to upgrade or want a new machine, don't wait for "what might be" order the best system you can afford today!

I want a machine that will last me 3-4 years keeping up with next gen games at a good frame rate in the future

I've read on Engadget somewhere that intel will discontinue the i7s

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007

Im sorry, Could you rephrase the question please?

TerminatorXT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

How much faster will my movie rendering, games, and windows start up be compared to my Q6600
I'm thinking about 120% of the current i7 920

It is impossible to answer your questions because you are asking us to quantify a processor which hasn't been released yet... Not even in previews. Best advice anyone can offer at this point is "call back in 6 months when there's something concrete to discuss."

4745454b

Titan
How much faster will my movie rendering, games, and windows start up be compared to my Q6600

LOL, Huh? Asks about movie rendering, and fails to tell us what programs he uses. Asks about games, and fails to tell us which type, and what resolution. Windows start up? How often does that happen? Don't shut your machine down, problem solved.

As pointed out, your asking about a CPU that doesn't exist yet. You might as well be asking about the i22. It isn't here, no one knows, come back later.

Upendra09

Distinguished

That was funny.

And I was also wondering how much faster the i9 will be compared to my celeron tualatin 1.2ghz processor. This is real people, that is what i am actually using right now. So back to the topic, how much of a difference will i see?

It is impossible to answer your questions because you are asking us to quantify a processor which hasn't been released yet... Not even in previews. Best advice anyone can offer at this point is "call back in 6 months when there's something concrete to discuss."

prelude2250

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
why ask us questions Intel wont even answer definitively? I'd say just imagine what an i7 would be like but just a little bit faster. The way Intel has been lately i'm sure there will be another socket for the i9's as well. But will software really take advantage of six cores. There was a great article on here showing the very small perf increase from 3 to 4 cores. the most gains were from 1 to 2 cores and on some software having the 4th core enable made no diff! I'll wait until software really uses 4 cores efficiently before I'll upgrade to six.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007

Having a “fast” recombination process, 4.3 gigahertz, which corresponds to a recombination lifetime of 37 picoseconds, well under the “100-picosecond barrier.”

Upendra09

Distinguished

I was joking, I don't think i made that clear

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

You're barking up the wrong tree.
Any 3.2Ghz+ Phenom IIs or Core2s will do that. Your Q6600 can do 3.2Ghz on stock HSF already.

What you should be looking at is graphic card. The rule is no top-end gfx card will last more than a year if you want max. eye candy @high res. on latest games. And adding more GPUs in SLi/Xfire is not an ideal upgrade solution.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

Glad you noticed. :D
You'll see me, random and Shadow using this avatar and we're trying to get more cool people down in the Aussie THG thread to join our exclusive 'kitteh avatar' club. :lol:

I see during my 10days away on holiday some threads have fallin into not answering the OP's question and blabbering about unrelated crap. :pt1cable:

Upendra09

Distinguished

2 things.

1 so u aren't randomizer but are of his group?

2. Can i join?

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
There's no sign that says you can't join.
But if you do join we'd expect you to be in our caliber of post quality. And be a part of our little Aussie THG thread down there. ;)

*checks out TerminatorXT's profile*
Crap, not worthy of my reply. Moving on...

Status
Not open for further replies.