Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Intel i9 (Gulftown) 6-core

Last response: in CPUs
July 15, 2009 7:25:31 PM

Most of you may have heard that Intel will be releasing the 6 core nehalem version of the i7
It is said to be called i9

I currently have a Q6600 B3 @ stock speeds and want to upgrade to the upcoming Gulftown processors

How much of a performance increase will I see and what price range can I expect

and has Intel talked about the X68 chipset yet, if they're developing one and if they have will it have USB 3.0?

More about : intel gulftown core

July 15, 2009 7:38:12 PM

TerminatorXT said:

They are going run 4500MHz @ .8v (stock), Overclock to 7+GHz and cost $89.99 and come with free Motherboard fitted with 12GB of DDR4-3000
July 15, 2009 7:41:33 PM

They are going to be the cats meoow.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2009 7:42:03 PM

TerminatorXT said:
Most of you may have heard that Intel will be releasing the 6 core nehalem version of the i7
It is said to be called i9

I currently have a Q6600 B3 @ stock speeds and want to upgrade to the upcoming Gulftown processors

and has Intel talked about the X68 chipset yet, if they're developing one and if they have will it have USB 3.0?
I hate questions like this...NO ONE CAN GIVE A DEFINITIVE ANSWER until the processor is actually in the hands of reviewers...anything else is speculation and worthless...most users barely need 4 cores now, let alone 6 cores...if you want to upgrade or want a new machine, don't wait for "what might be" order the best system you can afford today!
July 15, 2009 7:42:25 PM

could I have a real answer plz

and that reply of yours would only be valid in like 20-40 years when our i7s are obsolete
July 15, 2009 7:46:03 PM

chunkymonster said:
I hate questions like this...NO ONE CAN GIVE A DEFINITIVE ANSWER until the processor is actually in the hands of reviewers...anything else is speculation and worthless...most users barely need 4 cores now, let alone 6 cores...if you want to upgrade or want a new machine, don't wait for "what might be" order the best system you can afford today!

well my mistake,

Quote:
if you want to upgrade or want a new machine, don't wait for "what might be" order the best system you can afford today!

I want a machine that will last me 3-4 years keeping up with next gen games at a good frame rate in the future

I've read on Engadget somewhere that intel will discontinue the i7s
July 15, 2009 7:54:53 PM

TerminatorXT said:

Im sorry, Could you rephrase the question please?
July 15, 2009 8:03:50 PM

12Ghz of memory?

....think hard.
July 15, 2009 8:06:15 PM

knotknut said:
Im sorry, Could you rephrase the question please?

How much faster will my movie rendering, games, and windows start up be compared to my Q6600
I'm thinking about 120% of the current i7 920
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2009 8:11:06 PM

TerminatorXT said:
How much faster will my movie rendering, games, and windows start up be compared to my Q6600

It is impossible to answer your questions because you are asking us to quantify a processor which hasn't been released yet... Not even in previews. Best advice anyone can offer at this point is "call back in 6 months when there's something concrete to discuss."
July 15, 2009 8:19:49 PM

Dekasav said:
12Ghz of memory?

....think hard.

Is this better....12GB of DDR4-3000?
a c 87 à CPUs
July 15, 2009 8:24:10 PM

Quote:

LOL, Huh? Asks about movie rendering, and fails to tell us what programs he uses. Asks about games, and fails to tell us which type, and what resolution. Windows start up? How often does that happen? Don't shut your machine down, problem solved.

As pointed out, your asking about a CPU that doesn't exist yet. You might as well be asking about the i22. It isn't here, no one knows, come back later.
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2009 8:51:12 PM

4745454b said:
Quote:

LOL, Huh? Asks about movie rendering, and fails to tell us what programs he uses. Asks about games, and fails to tell us which type, and what resolution. Windows start up? How often does that happen? Don't shut your machine down, problem solved.

That was funny.

And I was also wondering how much faster the i9 will be compared to my celeron tualatin 1.2ghz processor. This is real people, that is what i am actually using right now. So back to the topic, how much of a difference will i see?
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2009 9:29:50 PM

Upendra09 said:
That was funny.

And I was also wondering how much faster the i9 will be compared to my celeron tualatin 1.2ghz processor. This is real people, that is what i am actually using right now. So back to the topic, how much of a difference will i see?

It is impossible to answer your questions because you are asking us to quantify a processor which hasn't been released yet... Not even in previews. Best advice anyone can offer at this point is "call back in 6 months when there's something concrete to discuss."
July 15, 2009 9:30:42 PM

why ask us questions Intel wont even answer definitively? I'd say just imagine what an i7 would be like but just a little bit faster. The way Intel has been lately i'm sure there will be another socket for the i9's as well. But will software really take advantage of six cores. There was a great article on here showing the very small perf increase from 3 to 4 cores. the most gains were from 1 to 2 cores and on some software having the 4th core enable made no diff! I'll wait until software really uses 4 cores efficiently before I'll upgrade to six.
July 15, 2009 9:51:00 PM

TerminatorXT said:

Having a “fast” recombination process, 4.3 gigahertz, which corresponds to a recombination lifetime of 37 picoseconds, well under the “100-picosecond barrier.”
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2009 10:14:06 PM

Scotteq said:

I was joking, I don't think i made that clear
July 15, 2009 10:20:02 PM

TerminatorXT said:
well my mistake,

Quote:
if you want to upgrade or want a new machine, don't wait for "what might be" order the best system you can afford today!

I want a machine that will last me 3-4 years keeping up with next gen games at a good frame rate in the future

You're barking up the wrong tree.
Any 3.2Ghz+ Phenom IIs or Core2s will do that. Your Q6600 can do 3.2Ghz on stock HSF already.

What you should be looking at is graphic card. The rule is no top-end gfx card will last more than a year if you want max. eye candy @high res. on latest games. And adding more GPUs in SLi/Xfire is not an ideal upgrade solution.
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2009 10:32:28 PM

@ wuzy

I thought you were Radomizer, you have the same picture as him/her
July 15, 2009 10:39:00 PM

damn looks like Baron is back under a new name. there goes the neighborhood again
July 15, 2009 10:54:20 PM

Upendra09 said:
@ wuzy

I thought you were Radomizer, you have the same picture as him/her

Glad you noticed. :D 
You'll see me, random and Shadow using this avatar and we're trying to get more cool people down in the Aussie THG thread to join our exclusive 'kitteh avatar' club. :lol: 

I see during my 10days away on holiday some threads have fallin into not answering the OP's question and blabbering about unrelated crap. :pt1cable: 
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2009 11:02:54 PM

wuzy said:
Glad you noticed. :D 
You'll see me, random and Shadow using this avatar and we're trying to get more cool people down in the Aussie THG thread to join our exclusive 'kitteh avatar' club. :lol: 

I see during my 10days away on holiday some threads have fallin into not answering the OP's question and blabbering about unrelated crap. :pt1cable: 

2 things.

1 so u aren't randomizer but are of his group?

2. Can i join?
July 15, 2009 11:27:57 PM

There's no sign that says you can't join.
But if you do join we'd expect you to be in our caliber of post quality. And be a part of our little Aussie THG thread down there. ;) 

*checks out TerminatorXT's profile*
Crap, not worthy of my reply. Moving on...
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2009 12:08:03 AM

Agreed

But i can't find how to get there, can you post the link please?

Thanks for including me
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2009 12:10:03 AM

Sorry ^^ was looking in the wrong part, i found the link about to join
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2009 12:11:16 AM

Never mind, i didn't find the link, sorry i am having a hard time here

Wuzy, please post a link to the site

Thanks
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2009 1:40:46 AM

This gets my vote as THE BEST ANSWER to date:

"They are going run 4500MHz @ .8v (stock), Overclock to 7+GHz and cost $89.99 and come with free Motherboard fitted with 12GB of DDR4-3000."

BUT he forgot 20 Gazillion Solid-State Rams. Baaaaaaaaah (bleep)!

Next question, please.

MRFS

a b à CPUs
July 16, 2009 1:45:01 AM

p.s. AMD already has 6-core CPUs:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37323/135/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-Updates-6-Core-Lineu...

Sunnyvale, California-based Advanced Micro Devices has just announced a number of new processors, coming to complete its latest line of six-core Opteron chips, formerly codenamed Istanbul. These new models have been designed to provide customers with a choice for a high-performance processor that can also improve the energy efficiency of their high-end systems. There are five new models, in AMD's 6-core lineup, with three aimed at 2P servers, while the other two have been designed for 4P/8P servers.
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2009 2:06:39 AM

how about this, get a dual 1366 server board and get 2 xeon e55x0 series and use crossfire, then when the gulftown server chip comes out, grab two of those
a c 127 à CPUs
July 16, 2009 7:26:32 AM

I would say that it will have some standard IPC enhancements from steppings and such probably about 5-10% clock per clock.

Multithreading will be different. It will have 6 physical and 6 logical cores giving it 12 total threads. So that will probably be a big jump for multithreaded apps.

Price wise, probably a guess and wrong but I would say near $500-$1K depending on if it is a Extreme Edition or not.
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2009 2:25:03 PM

prelude2250 said:
why ask us questions Intel wont even answer definitively? I'd say just imagine what an i7 would be like but just a little bit faster. The way Intel has been lately i'm sure there will be another socket for the i9's as well. But will software really take advantage of six cores. There was a great article on here showing the very small perf increase from 3 to 4 cores. the most gains were from 1 to 2 cores and on some software having the 4th core enable made no diff! I'll wait until software really uses 4 cores efficiently before I'll upgrade to six.

IIRC there was confirmation from Intel that the 6-core Gulftown would be a drop-in replacement on X58 boards, a few months ago. There was some mention of it on various threads here at Tom's.

And as for the multi-core usage, 2 things to think about: W7's improved thread-handling and multitasking.
July 16, 2009 3:50:02 PM

@zipzoomflyhigh,

I'm quite sure that intel said there would be no CPU's with more than 4 cores on LGA 1156.

as for Gulftown, all that we are fairly sure about is that it will start off as a $999 extreme edition CPU and will be released in Q1 2010, it's also a 32NM chip with 12MB of L3 cache which will run on current X58 chipset.

I'd hazard a guess also that this will have a 3.46-3.73GHz clock speed and on release, the i7 975 EE will drop down in price to about $400-600.

However the fact it has 'town' in it's name gives away that it will be a server chip and may cost a bit more while not having an unlocked core multiplier.
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2009 6:54:59 PM

Call me when my Q9650 is a bottleneck.

Seriously, Quads are fine, and will continue to do the job for the next several years.
July 16, 2009 7:31:34 PM

I'm just gonna wait till they come out with the "thundertown" 16 core with 64meg cache running @ 8GHz......
July 20, 2009 2:00:57 AM

Real speed comparisons are obviously nonexistent... however, were I to hazard an educated guess... in past die shrinks from 65nm to 45nm there was a 44.4% theoretical improvement to performance. Then, add to that the cooler temps and power savings and eventual performance competition increasing clock speed. This resulted intially in 20% overall system performance increase because there is about half the theoretical that flows through to the actual system performance.
I expect the same from Intel to continue the tick tock release schedule and the release of the new processor will always see the greatest performance boost and the feature upgrade release with the greatest stability and mature price points.
So bottom line ... most apps will run approximately 10% faster than the previous generation because in percentage terms it is harder now to increase from higher speeds. Also, the system may feel faster or slower depending on the other components you put into the system. Liek the advent of performance optimized Solid State Drives that can give any game a huge boost especially when the swap file is located there.
a c 480 à CPUs
a c 119 å Intel
July 20, 2009 2:12:34 AM

For encoding video using H.264 (X.264) I would say about 45% increase in frames processed per second since H.264 seems to scale up (down) with the number of cores compared to an i7. Knock off a few percentage points for inefficiencies.

For gaming... who cares? Most games are primarily dependent on the GPU. Yeah, yeah, you'll probably get a few extra frames per second.
a c 127 à CPUs
July 20, 2009 2:38:08 AM

MRFS said:
p.s. AMD already has 6-core CPUs:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37323/135/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-Updates-6-Core-Lineu...

Sunnyvale, California-based Advanced Micro Devices has just announced a number of new processors, coming to complete its latest line of six-core Opteron chips, formerly codenamed Istanbul. These new models have been designed to provide customers with a choice for a high-performance processor that can also improve the energy efficiency of their high-end systems. There are five new models, in AMD's 6-core lineup, with three aimed at 2P servers, while the other two have been designed for 4P/8P servers.

Thats for servers. Gulftown is going to desktops. intels plans are for a 8 core, Nehalem-EX, for servers.
a c 127 à CPUs
July 20, 2009 3:54:17 AM

one-shot said:
What's your phone number?

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i7-multigpu-sli-cros...

A Q9650 will only truly bottleneck in more than two GPUs. With two GPUs a Core i7 doesn't present a gain thats truly impressive but when its tri/quad GPUs it does.

In non gaming Core i7 just impresses like it was a cake walk.
July 20, 2009 3:57:19 AM

I think it is rather impressive when a CPU of a new generation can display that gain over the previous of the same clock speed. Realistically though, a Core2Quad is fine for most things. With 2 or more GPUs I would choose an i7 with a new build if the budget allows.
a c 127 à CPUs
July 20, 2009 4:01:04 AM

I agree with you there. Maybe for ATIs new 5870X2s or a G300 based dual GPU card. But current GPUs wont bottleneck a C2Q running 3GHz+ unless its tri/quad setup.

While I do get amazed at what Core i7 can bring to the table at high resolutions with multiple GPUs, if someone has a Q9650 I don't see the need to upgrade until the next gen of GPUs from ATI, nVidia and even Intel are out.
July 21, 2009 2:40:48 PM

TerminatorXT said:
well my mistake,

Quote:

Not anytime soon. Next year Gulftown on the LGA1366 platform will be released as 6 core, and its in the Extreme Edition range (the core i9 you spoke about).

Core i9 will continue to coexist with Core i7, with Core i7 filling the lower segment of LGA1366 platform. Core i9 will be for those who have loads of cash and can afford their Exterem Edition CPUs

Core i7 will be around for quite awhile, including the Core i7 920
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2009 3:29:08 PM

Gee ... what a waste of time reading all this was.

GulfStream ... now there is a nice name ...
August 21, 2009 4:08:10 PM

knotknut said:
They are going run 4500MHz @ .8v (stock), Overclock to 7+GHz and cost $89.99 and come with free Motherboard fitted with 12GB of DDR4-3000

Yep & I go in to a phone both take off my glasses & not only do people I know well not know me anymore but I can fly

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MB535LL/A?mco=NDE4NDIyMQ
a b à CPUs
August 21, 2009 4:10:58 PM

Necroist!!
August 21, 2009 6:48:41 PM

I like the idea DEAD i9?
August 26, 2009 1:53:32 AM

TerminatorXT said:
well my mistake,

Quote:

you are not much of a thinker are you
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2009 2:10:59 AM

nope not really, couldn't you tell when he asked about a proc taht wasn't evn out yet or close to be out?^^
August 26, 2009 11:54:07 AM

This thread just made my day xd
!