Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
if you shop around it should "only" be about twice the price...

I had the original G15 and liked it very much ^^
Then our cat knocked a glass of wine over it... under the keys is a plastic membrane with printed, wine soluble, circuit tracks for each key

That was the end of one of my favourite PC parts in a long while :(

I Really don't like the new G15...

I mentioned this new G19 coming out in passing to my father who surprised me with it as a gift - he missed my last Xmas and Birthday presents - and it was most welcomed :)

My Impression:

in the pictures and videos the volume "roller" looked like a nice quality metal one with some weight behind it - so it would spin fluidly - or so I'd hoped
It is sadly a hollow light weight plastic affair (hard rubbery plastic finger grip is ok around it), probably the biggest letdown of the G19 for me. Costing that much I figured that part could have been made better.

All the main key set, G keys and media play keys are all part of the group that change colour - the range is pretty much unlimited with really nice quality colours which can be chosen from a custom colour picker - like the one in Adobe Photoshop 6 (still using it lol)
Very happy with this.
The 3 M Keys (designating the 3 alternate sets of programmed G keys) can each have a preset colour assigned affecting the main key sets.

The 3 M buttons themselves and the screen menu control are per orange.

There is no brightness settings, this you adjust in choosing your colours which works fine.
There is a on/off button that kills all keys illumination as well as the screen.

The screen really is excellent quality, though in general use is little used as per your habits of G15 I'd guess
I usually have mine set to performance monitor.
or
randomly rotating through a present pictures directory of funny images.

You can also watch movies on it too - the quality is really good for such a small screen - can even "Just" about read subtitles on anime (but not for fun - too damn small lol )

That's the important bits really...

So for me, I think I am happy with it, even with the price - just.

A 2nd hand rev1 G15 cost close to £70 when I looked around Xmas, and slightly more recently, on ebay --- just looked now and seems to be a flood of new rev1 G15's going for about £35 - £45ish from Canada
So at the time getting one of these for £110 didn't seem such a bad buy (cheapest about the time my dad bought mine)

If I'd seen such cheap G15's I have one of those now not this though.

But am happy I have it none the less ^^