A question about sound systems and sound cards

jchan

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Right now, i have the Logitech X-540 speakers and i love them, but i dont think they deliver enough thump. So i was wondering, is it possible for me to hook up the Logitech Z2300 speakers and sub woofer and my original 5 X-540 speakers and dump the X-540 sub woofer? So i would have 7.1 surround sound with two different types of speakers and the Z2300 sub woofer?

And a question about sound cards,

Is it really worth it to buy another sound card for $100? I listen to a lot of music so i can tell the difference... but is the $100 sound card going to be A LOT better than the integrated sound like the Realtek ALC1200?

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Right now, i have the Logitech X-540 speakers and i love them, but i dont think they deliver enough thump. So i was wondering, is it possible for me to hook up the Logitech Z2300 speakers and sub woofer and my original 5 X-540 speakers and dump the X-540 sub woofer? So i would have 7.1 surround sound with two different types of speakers and the Z2300 sub woofer?
Not possible unfortunately as all satellite are connected to the sub woofer first, then from sub woofer to the sound card. The sub woofer amplifies those satellite speakers so connecting them straight into the sound card (with 3.5mm instead of RCA) won't do.

Is it really worth it to buy another sound card for $100? I listen to a lot of music so i can tell the difference... but is the $100 sound card going to be A LOT better than the integrated sound like the Realtek ALC1200?
Doubt you'll hear the difference with low/mid-range (relatively compared to home theater) speakers like X-540.
Most of the DAC used with Realtek HD Audio codec chip like ALC1200 found in modern motherboard are fairly good quality already. Good enough for mid-priced computer speakers (analogue).

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
haven't looked at those speaker but like wuzzy said usually computer speakers are powered by the an amp in the sub making your proposal unlikely

As to the sound card that depends on you and your speakers. To be honest with these questions and those speakers you probably won't know the difference.

If you wanted to upgrade your sound, a decent and reasonably price solution for music would be.
Logitech Z-2300 and a xonar d1 roughly 200bucks on newegg

spinny

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I use the Logitech Z-2300s (awesome system for the money fyi) and as I recall I had a pretty noticeable difference in music sound quality between my X-Fi xtreme music sound card and an onboard realtek (don't recall what chip exactly).

I would say it is worth it if you listen to a lot of music and quality is important to you. It's one of those components that you can feel good about investing in because it will last you through multiple systems and if you plan to do any sort of gaming then a sound card is a shoo-in.

Also, realtek is just plain icky in my book.

jchan

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
spinny- thanks i was thinking that also, ill look into the x-fi extreme

505090- thanks . I was hoping it would hook up haha. i really like surround sound though, so i'm gonna have to debate if i'm gonna get z2300's or not

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
in my experience surround speakers rarely work well with computers
I have only seen one computer room laid out with proper speaker placement and the integrated wires are usually to short to put the speakers where they belong anyway

also music is recorded in two channels
In a 5.1 system the amps power is distributed to all channels while the music is only coming out of fl fr s so a lot of power is wasted. Now logitech was kind enough to a matrix function on my z5500 that will force it to use all channels problem is there goes my sound quality

jchan

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
hmm.. for my x-540's the quality seems really good already, but my computer is like 7 years old, so if i buy a new sound card, i bet the quality will astonish me... When i turn off matrix in my games, i can hear the difference... especially in starcraft. Maybe i have good ears? 0.o

Also, does anyone know how HT l Omega sound cards are?
They are all really expensive, but this one seems to be in my limit and it has decent reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001

jchan

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
oh nice... looks pretty good. But the only problem is that its a PCI-E slot. Whats weird is that one of the reviews says that he has an ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 mobo and that motherboard doesnt have that slot ...

And what does it mean when it needs a floppy power connection?

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
And what does it mean when it needs a floppy power connection?
The connector that's been left out in cold with modern builds:
floppy-power.jpg

FYI, the PCIe version needed the floppy power connector because the card was designed to run on 5V provided by PCI. The PCIe version uses a PCI->PCIe bridge chip and PCIe slot provided only 3.3V. Therefore external power was needed.

jchan

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
oh i think i gotcha. i'm trying to fit my budget and its really tough so i'm not sure if i can afford a new sound card atm. But for future reference, i'll remember the Xonar sound cards. I hope the sound on my motherboard will suffice =/