Newbie with i7 overclocking problem

oxygene13

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
Hi everyone,

I've got an overclocked system that seems to be misbehaving.

When trying to boot up from cold the system just hangs and nothing is output to the screen. Fans are on as they should but nothing happens to finish the boot. From here I have to switch it off then on again and the boot completes.

If I go into the tweak menu in the BIOS I'm informed that a boot has failed

I've been in touch with Overclockers UK support a bit and theres not yet been a solution. We've mainly been tweaking the voltage for the CPU.

Any suggestions?

I'm new to Overclocking which is why I got a bundle with OCUK. With this issue happening on Cold Boot too its tricky to test as I have to make a change then wait till the next day.

My system is here:

Intel Core i7 930 2.80Ghz overclocked to 4GHz
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (BIOS Version: FC)
6GB RAM
Power Supply - CoolerMaster Silent Pro M series 700W

One suggestion made by OCUK was that maybe its the power supply but I'm not sure and dont have a spare - it's brand new and a pretty expensive piece of kit. Any thoughts on this? Other recomendations for Power?

thanks

Ben

kickflipper1087

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Hi there, I have a couple ideas:

Check your CPU voltages like saint19 said. I had a similiar issue only it would fail everytime if my cpu voltage was too low. (Stupid C0 step)

Check your other voltages, it looks like your QPI/DRAM may be quite high. Increase that voltage to a safe level and it might make a difference.

What's your ram frequency and timings? If they're overclocked or tightened, bump up the DRAM bus voltage a couple notches until it boots and stress with Prime or OCCT.

And yeah, make sure it works when its not overclocked, or the above would be a waste of time lol

oxygene13

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
Simon - it works without the overclock - on the second boot it will startup fine but with no overclocked settings.

oxygene13

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010

Here's some voltage info

CPU Voltage: 1.31250V
DRAM Voltage: 1.66V
RAM Frequency: 1066.34 MHz - this is with 6.144 GB Memory

CPU is running at a temperature of around 34 degrees C.

Any ideas?

kickflipper1087

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Hmm thats strange. Have you updated your BIOS recently?

Also I have an idea! As you increase your blck, you may need to increase voltages for other things like QPI. I'm not too familiar with BIOS settings on the Gigabyte mb's but if theres an option for QPI voltage, you should definitely bump that up to around 1.3+ volts and see if you can catch a boot. If you do than thats awesome! But stress test heavily and see if you can lower voltages elsewhere. Lemme know what happens please, I'm interested.