Homebuilt Systems

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I am building a new system using an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor. will a 480 watt power supply be adequate?
I am looking for basic information. I can build a system but cannot understand very technical information.

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
You haven't listed the other parts that you will be installing. They will also have bearing on the size of the PSU. If you're going with the x4 955, I would suspect that you'll have other higher end components and a 480W PSU may not adequately handle eveything. I would recommend more W.

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Here is more information. ASUS EN9500GT Magic/DI//512M GeForce 9500GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 Video card

8GB Corsair (PC2 6400) memory

ASUS M4A78 Plus motherboard

Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit operating system

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I am building this system for someone else. I don't believe he will be overclocking and maybe he won't (?) be into gaming.

The hard drive is WD500GB

Also depends on the model of the 480 watt PSU? A 450 watt Corsair would work. A 500 watt generic probably would not work.

The 9500GT is not a particularly good gaming card.

Here's the problem with building for someone (as opposed to helping someone build): whether it's low end or a high end build, regardless of budget, you need to use good parts. Maybe not the best, but you certainly need to use good parts. Among other things, your personal reputation is at stake.

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
The power supply comes with a LOGISYS computer Area 51 case. Not sure what brand. This person did not express the desire for a gaming computer. I figure he could upgrade that later if necessary. Building computers is a hobby for me. This is the fifth computer I have built. I am trying to build a reliable computer. A 600w power supply is on order.

I really appreciate your feedback. I think advising people about new builds is boring in general. All the parts are on their way.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
As the others have said, all you components need to be of good quality and that includes the PSU. Not knowing what brand it is leads me to believe that the power supply is little more than an inconvenient expense to you. Every part of your system relies on solid, stable power to operate efficiently. Not only that but cheap PSU's have a habit of dying and taking other components with them as they go. Also, wattage is far less important than the Amperage the PSU is capable of providing.

Something like this at $40 w/ free shipping would be a good choice.

As the PSU comes with a Logisys case, I would assume it is a Logisys PSU :kaola:
They are really really low end (even worse than Rosewill!).
Also, it is not so much about getting a really high wattage POS as a moderate wattage, high quality, PSU.
Look into a QUALITY 380w+ Corsair, PCP&C, Seasoinc, or Antec Earthwatts PSU.

Definatly get a different GPU even if they are not planning on gaming.
A 9500GT still costs you, what, like $45 or so?
For the same price or less you could get him a 9600GSO ($35) or 4670 ($50).
Either of these options will be a MAJOR upgrade from a 9500GT with roughly twice the performance.
Remember, you can do much more than game with a GPU now a days and every bit of free performance helps!

Especially building this for a friend or someone you know, you should strive to build the best possible system within the given budget.

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I ordered an Ultra 600 watt power supply. I've seen many criticisms of Ultra power supplys but I have used at least three and have had no problems. I even looked specifically for ultra because of this.

The video card did cost more than $45. I will stick with it until I observe problems. I acknowledge that you may be right in your recommendation.

TRENDING THREADS