Sign in with
Your question

SSD vs HDD raid0

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
November 15, 2010 9:32:17 AM

hi, I'm pretty sure this question has been asked a couple hundred times already but here goes:
I'm looking to upgrade my PC's storage medium (for games, faster OS booting) and I'm currently looking at an OCZ phoenix sata2 60gb drive.
I know that a 60gb drive wont hold much games in it but that's all I can afford right now and the phoenix is the only drive I can get readily available in the pc market here (although they have different storage sizes).
another alternative would be to set up two WD caviar blacks in raid0.
people say that raid0 is not that reliable and it would sometimes fail, is this true?

now, would I get better boot times,app load times, game performance using ssd or hdd raid0?
If I'd go for the SSD, do you recommend me buying now or waiting til price drops?

thanks.

More about : ssd hdd raid0

November 15, 2010 1:29:34 PM

SSD would be your best solution for fast boot up times.
I would look into OCZ agility 2 or vertex 2. I would wait until January when they are to be releasing new SSD formats.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
November 15, 2010 2:22:51 PM

For most people the best performing configuration is to put the OS and as many of your frequently used programs as you can on an SSD, and put everything else on a hard drive.
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2010 2:49:47 PM

FYI: I use two Samsung Spinpoint F3s (500Gb) in RAID 0. never had any issue
m
l
November 15, 2010 3:46:52 PM

christiangordon said:
SSD would be your best solution for fast boot up times.
I would look into OCZ agility 2 or vertex 2. I would wait until January when they are to be releasing new SSD formats.

I'd assume that new releases = cheaper relatively older products? I sure hope that's the case for these SSDs.
m
l
!