Sign in with
Your question

Graphic Cards for my new PC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 3, 2009 1:50:33 AM

Hi all, I'm really want to know about the video cards. i have build my self a new pc and i got a 26 inc touch of color samsung lcd and the Maximum Resolution: is 1920 x 1200 and i am wondering what video card will be best for me. witch games to i play? im a gamer i play all kinds of games from World of Warcraft, Empire: Total War, Crysis, Far Cry 2, Fear, Fear 2, Doom 3, EA Crysis, Halo 2, Left 4 Dead, GRAND THEFT AUTO IV: GRAND THEFT AUTO VICE CITY, there is alot more games i do play. i also play 3D mmorpg games. like cronous, sho online, land of magic and alot more. so anyways i would like to fine the best video card that will play on high settings. and will not lag. and have very good fp. like 30 to 40fp or higher

and the video card must be 1gb if you need more info about my computer please feel free to ask me thanks :) 

Garm

More about : graphic cards

May 3, 2009 3:39:20 AM

There are more important things to consider when buying a graphics card than its memory size.

You need to prioritize what's important. Which is (Somewhat in order): Stream processing units/stream processors, the memory bus width (bits), the memory clock, the gpu core clock. THEN comes the memory size.

You should be fine with 256 or 512mb of vram.

Then you have to consider the size of your case and your power supply, but I don't know too much about that. ;) 
May 3, 2009 3:53:16 AM

spellbinder2050 said:
There are more important things to consider when buying a graphics card than its memory size.

You need to prioritize what's important. Which is (Somewhat in order): Stream processing units/stream processors, the memory bus width (bits), the memory clock, the gpu core clock. THEN comes the memory size.

Then you have to consider the size of your case and your power supply, but I don't know too much about that. ;) 

256 MB will not drive a 1900 x 1200 monitor... In this situation, I'd actually suggest a minimum of a 4870 with at least 512 Mb vram, but more info on your system is needed.
Related resources
May 3, 2009 4:31:49 AM

spellbinder2050 said:

At 1920x1200? He could probably get away with 512 for now, but that's cutting it close already. 256 MB would be a big mistake.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3175&p=5
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3523&p=6

For the second link, look at the GRID benchmark. At 1680x1050, the GTS 250 1GB and the 512 MB are pretty much tied. Switch to 2560x1600, and the 1GB version gets nearly double the performance, because the 512 MB version does not have enough RAM for that resolution and graphics settings. Like I said, you could do 512 MB for now, but we're already to the point where games are starting to prefer 1 GB.

OP: Please give the rest of your computer's specs, it would help us get a better idea of what your whole system looks like. If you're gaming on it now, I imagine it's fine, but just to be sure...
I predict that you'll end up wanting to look at the gtx 260 or the 4870 1GB. Both are solid cards without breaking the bank. Might even want to glance at the 4890 if you can find a good deal.
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2009 4:45:13 AM

I'd play it safe and get a card with 1GB Vram. More importantly though, for the GPU I'd recommend at least a 4870/4890 or a 260/285 (stay away from the dual GPU cards if you can). What motherboard do you have (if it has SLI or Crossfire support, that will sway the decision.)? What are the other components as well?
May 3, 2009 4:46:35 AM

we need to know the amount of money your willing to spend...we assume your motherboard will accept a pci-express card but it would b nice to know what board you have chosen...what power supply did you go with...if you bought a case that came with a power supply then I would most likely be prepared to buy a new power supply...the size of your case will matter bc these video cards can b pretty big and may not fit in a mini atx case.....I'd most likely get a 512mb video card however if a 1gb of the same card is available within 20 bucks of the 512mb then I would go with that...we need to know if you have crossfire or sli ability...possibly a dual 4770 or 4850 configuartion would b nice...although I admit I am not aware of crossfire 4770 results yet...but if they r anything like the 4850s I'd get 2 4770s when they become overclocked from manufacturors for 99.99-120.99 per card...for a single card configuarion I'd at minimum go with the 4870 and possibly the 4890 if u had a little cash to burn...nvidia GTX260 or 275 possibly.....there r several ways you could go here so there is a lot of needed information
a c 106 U Graphics card
May 3, 2009 4:34:03 PM

Crysis and GTA are the most demanding games from that list (mostly due to lack of optimization and GTA is coded particularly badly). Since you can afford that 26" Samsung I'm assuming you have a considerable amount of money (I prefer the quality of the business models myself). I say go with a Radeon 4890. Another good choice is the GTX275, and while it's slightly smaller 896MB of RAM lowers it's performance compared to the full 1GB of a 280/285 in very few scenarios, for the most part it trades blows with the 4890 and seems to run Crysis better.
May 10, 2009 6:58:29 AM

Im useing my old video card and the video card that i have will kill the new 26 inc touch of color samsung the old video card is the msi 512mb that only goes up 2 1024/900 the new ring i just build for my self again was the

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Quad Core Processor 3.00GHz,
Thermaltake / ToughPower / 1200-Watt / ATX / 140mm
Thermaltake Armor+ Full-Tower ATX Case with Liquid Cooling. Witch im soo in love with it now.
MSI K9N2 Diamond Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI ready with 8gb of ram... i still think i could of done better with the board i really want a high end gamming board. but so far it's ight. and i have windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit anyways i think im gonna get a high end morther board do you know anyone that has 4 video card slots.
May 10, 2009 7:02:36 AM

i can care less about the money. i spent 5k on a computer before and il do it again. i just want the job done. thanks :) 
May 10, 2009 7:06:02 AM

im not really sure if the ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe is a high end mb is it ?
!