Cant remove my old Heatsink Backplate

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I am trying to install my new Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B but I cannot remove my old backplate from my motherboard. At first I thought it would be ok because the majority of backplates are compatible. However, the screws that come with my Mugen dont work with the old backplate and the screws from my old heatsink dont work with the Mugen.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I might get round this problem/recommendations for removing a backplate?

Cheers,

EDIT: My sig isn't displayed so if anyone needs to know this is LGA1156 socket and the old heatsink was an Akasa Nero S. Motherboard is the Biostar T-Power I55

dhongkool1

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
i believe you'll have to remove the old backplate and replace it with the backplate that came with ur scythe mugen
depending on the case that you have, you would have to either remove the back side panel or remove the whole motherboard to replace the backplate

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Yes I know. Maybe I wasn't clear, I understand that I have to remove the backplate, the problem is I cant physically do it. Its completely stuck on.

dhongkool1

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
there should be some screws you have to remove on the front side of the motherboard
if not, how is it stuck on? did you use thermal adhesive to put it on?

d0gr0ck

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
If it used some for of adhesive to stick itself to the motherboard something acetone based will dissolve the material. Even ArctiClean 1 can help remove sticky pads that stop some backplates from making electrical contact from a board.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Yea it is stuck on using adhesive pads that cam with the backplate. Literally cannot budget the bloody thing.

Ok thanks guys I will try both the heat and articlean methods.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Next time, you might consider not exposing the sticky side of that pad. Yes, you don't want it to move, but the pressure between the plate, the board and the mounts should keep it well in place. Then, when you remove it, it should pop right off.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008

Well said.... :)