Status
Not open for further replies.

originalmcblood

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
This is related to a post of mine from last week but I got no replies so I guess my external usb drive is dead.

Quick back story before the question.

500 gb usb drive. found corrupt sectors; so chkdsk; hung on stage 4 of 5 killed power after 10 hours; now can't this drive can not be seen on any of my 5 computers at home! Not through my computer right click manage or utilising device manager!!

I now therefore want to see if I can get in and salvage what I can before I pay through the nose and take it to someone with the software and possibly (probably) more know how than me to recover. Can anybody recommend the best FREE software to utilise in this situation.

oh and by the way we are talking about 400 plus GB of data here.Images, software, docs the lot...

Cheers.

originalmcblood

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I have corrected the bad English below as it will not let me edit it.

This is related to a post of mine from last week but I got no replies so I guess my external usb drive is dead.

Quick back story before the question.

500 gb usb drive. found corrupt sectors; so chkdsk; hung on stage 4 of 5 killed power after 10 hours; now this drive can not be seen on any of my 5 computers at home! It still powers on and I can hear the disk spin. I have tried changing the connections with ones that I know work also but all to no avail. I can not detect this drive through my computer, right click, manage or utilising device manager I have however not checked via the bios!!

I now therefore want to see if I can get in and salvage what I can before I pay through the nose and take it to someone with the software and possibly (probably) more know how than me to recover.

Can anybody recommend the best FREE software to utilise in this situation.

oh and by the way we are talking about 400 plus GB of data here.Images, software, docs the lot...

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.