Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Noob To OCing!

Last response: in Overclocking
January 3, 2011 7:30:26 PM

Hello, I only have a few other threads on this website, and so far I have gotten quite a bit of help and I love it here! Haha but on topic, I am a newbie to overclocking because I have been stuck on Macs and a not-so-good Dell laptop. I have recently built my own system and I am loving the speed and such but there are times where I want better speed such as when I want to render out animations, play some WoW, and have other programs up on my monitors but, I want to do it all at a quick rate. I have the tools to overclock my video card and processor because they game with the software. I am new to it all though but I have MANY fans, most likely more than I will be needing with my normal specs so I figured why not step it up... So what is my ideal speed and should I be OCing my video card too? Should I upgrade my cooling? Should I stay the same?

ASUS Sabertooth X58 Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SLI Ready, CrossFireX Ready, Triple Channel DDR3 support, SATA 6GB/s, USB 3.0

Corsair CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 Dominator 12GB PC12800 Triple Channel RAM - 1600MHz, 3x4096MB, 9-9-9-24, Unbuffered, Non-ECC

EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 SuperClocked Video Card - 1024MB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, Dual DVI, Mini HDMI, SLI, DirectX 11

Intel Core i7 950 Processor BX80601950 - 3.06GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 4.8GT/s QPI, HyperThreading, Quad Core, Bloomfield, LGA 1366, Retail, Fan (No thermal paste! Did not come with any but it may have been on the bottom of the fan that touches the processor because there was a paste there I believe)

Ultra X4 750-Watt Modular Power Supply - 135mm Fan, ATX, Lifetime Warranty w/ Registration, 80+ Bronze, NVIDIA SLI & ATI Crossfire Certifications, Vibration Dampener Included

Dual-RAM fan over the RAM and a processor fan of course. Also, six fans around the case. Thanks!

More about : noob ocing

January 3, 2011 9:28:10 PM

Sounds like a nice setup! I'd probably just suggest replacing the stock Intel CPU cooler, depending on how high you want to overclock. They're okay for normal use but the temps definitely get progressively higher as you clock higher.

As far as the GPU, you can overclock it if you'd like but I'd start off with a good, stable CPU overclock beforehand. I do a lot of rendering in Autodesk Revit and Maya and noticed a nice CPU overclock will take you places.

Find a sweet spot with your cpu and ram speeds and you'll notice a big difference in your rendering times!
m
l
January 3, 2011 9:54:49 PM

What exactly would you recommend to over clock to? 3.6? Not sure what exactly is stable for that and I will order up a nicer CPU cooler and some thermal paste to prevent burning it out just in case.
m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2011 10:13:50 PM

3.6-3.8 seems to be a crowd favorite for a 24/7 overclock, as long as you can get the right temps, you'll be fine :)  Depending on the heatsink you buy, it may come with thermal paste, but I would do some shopping around for some high quality paste.

I'm using the thermal paste that came with my Noctua NH-U12P, and I couldnt be happier. If you can find a good deal on a Noctua heatsink / fan combo, definitely give it a try. Make sure you read some reviews beforehand and check that your case can fit the heatsink you buy! lol
m
l
January 3, 2011 11:05:29 PM

Lol oh space is no problem at all! My case seems like a full but it's only a mid... I have never uninstalled/installed a heatsink before so I will have to do some homework! Haha thanks for all of the info. One last question, what is the best temp, and is there a levy to that temp?
m
l
January 4, 2011 4:15:01 AM

No prob! Shop around and find a well rated CPU cooler.

The i7's like to run hot, if you have your voltages too high you might see it spike into the upper 60's and 70's and thats something you might wanna try and avoid for long term use. If you can find a sweet spot between 55-65 degrees Celsius under a full load in Prime95 or OCCT you seem to be in good shape.

Your room temperature will make a difference too :)  just wear a sweatshirt and keep your room ice cold!
m
l
January 4, 2011 7:56:36 PM

my 950 runs cool in my Antec case,plenty of fans
sabertooth MOBO which I own have a way too high bad units rate,buy two so you can send the broken one back or avoid and buy a EVGA or something else
That V8 cooler is slick,but you can keep cool for 30 bucks or so unless your planning to reach the stratusphere ,id get a better GPU but that will work
m
l
January 4, 2011 8:01:11 PM

Hmm thanks for the feedback, I personally am loving MOBO no issues so far and easy install. A better GPU though? What would you say is a better upgrade?
m
l
January 5, 2011 12:05:45 PM

hey there,
welcome to the forum first of all
I wouldn't suggest the CM V8 because it doesn't really have a good price vs performance ratio. For under 30 bucks you can get a CM 212+, if you're willing to spend more, you can get the Scythe Mugen (this one's amazing), Thermalright Venemous X (best), or Promlimatech Megahalems (the one I have)
I've got a 920 running at 4.0 Ghz with the Megahalems at 68 degrees full load.
The 950 is amazing you just don't really have any OC room with the stock cooler.
You should replace the GPU with 2x6850, 2x6870 or 580 GTX, all of those are great and pretty new to the market
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 5, 2011 1:45:27 PM

I agree dont get the V8 it is pretty but not a good performer. The Hyper 212+ performs better and like dhongkool1 I have the Prolimatech Megahalems and it is the best air cooler I have ever used.

For the video card I would just use rivatuner, evga percision, or msi afterburner to OC unless you have the money to go big.

Just make sure you read tutorial so you know what you are doing and if you have any questions about the tutorials feel free to ask.
m
l
January 5, 2011 8:32:09 PM

I agree to the above. Ive never owned one but I've heard Price x Performance the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is awesome.

I'm also hearing nice things about the Noctua NH-D14 that I might upgrade to in the near future. A lot more expensive but from personal experience, I'm quite attached to the quietness and cool temps.

Good luck with the overclock!
m
l
January 6, 2011 12:46:41 AM

Thanks for all of the feedback! I will have to use the EVGA percision for OCing my GPU because I'm sitting at a low 20$ right now... Next things I get will be a fan then a nicer GPU... What would be the better one I can get, and will it be compatible with my current one so I could use a double GPU setup.
m
l

Best solution

a c 233 à CPUs
a c 166 K Overclocking
January 6, 2011 12:58:49 AM

Follow this:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2008122019104023...

Set ya BCLK to 160 (memory multiplier to 10 - 1600 MHz) and you'll hit 3.84 Ghz no problem ... temps should be in the high 50's under load with after lowering CPU voltage a bit as described above with a decent cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I recommend the Mega cause it's in the top 3 performance wise and the easiest aftermarket cooler I have ever installed. The Shin Etsu TIM tops everyone else.

Now the problem .... your RAM will likely prevent the installation of most aftermarket coolers. These days RAM doesn't get hot enough to need a fan, nor do most modules benefit from those tall heat sinks. They came into favor years ago and actually did some good back then but as THG tests have shown, with modern modules, you don't really get anything outta these heatsinks / coolers except in rare instances like the Mushkin Ascent liquid cooled design....but those are low profile. Mushkin stopped making them a year ago as there;s been no real need to invest in adding the technology as RAm speed hasn't been limited by heat issues.

If ya wanna consider other coolers, this is a compendium of test over the years covering well over 100 something coolers:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Top Performers

* Prolimatech Megahalems
* Thermalright Venomous-X RT
* Scythe Mugen 2 SCMG-2100
* ProlimaTech Super Mega
* Cogage Arrow
* ProlimaTech Armageddon
* Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
* Cogage TRUE Spirit
* Xigmatek Balder SD1283
* SilenX Effizio EFZ-120HA4
* Titan FENRIR TTC-NK85TZ

Highly Recommended

* Noctua NH-D14
* Zalman CNPS10X-Performa
* Coolink Corator-DS Heatsink
* CoolAge CA-X120TF Wind Tunnel
* Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme
* Thermolab BARAM
* Xigmatek Thor's Hammer S126384
* Scythe Yasya SCYS-1000 Cooler
* Noctua NH-U12P
* Cooler Master V6 GT Heatsink
* Thermaltake Contac-29 CLP0568
* Zalman CNPS10X-Quiet

January 9, 2011 11:39:00 PM

@ Jack
Thanks alot! tons of help and information, I'l have to start reading all of those guides. Thanks for all the help guys.
m
l
January 9, 2011 11:39:23 PM

Best answer selected by albinoshadow.
m
l
!