Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I need recomendations on a Liquid Cooling custom loop... i'm a noob

Last response: in Overclocking
January 3, 2011 9:30:24 PM

i will be building a new system soon and i am thinking about LC (liquid cooling).

I want to go for the 2600k, but if the OCed i7 950 will yield more performance i am willing to change my system. i'm going for a rock solid stable 4.5-5GHz rock solid build... or 4-4.5GHz with high end air...

will be going for the maximus iv extreme MOBO

PART 1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

first, what will I have to do to maintain the LC system (like pipe cleaning or temp monitoring)

second, is it safe

should i go for LC or stick with air

PART 2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you do recommend LC for me could you please tell me all of the stuff i would need for a custom loop for 1 cpu and 3-4 GPUs + south bridge if you recommend it.

budget for the loop is about $400-500 for this loop but i would like $200-300.
i could do two loops if needed

if you do not recommend LC what is the highest quality AIR

PS. do you like my new profile pic i made :D 

Best solution

a c 330 K Overclocking
January 3, 2011 9:38:00 PM

Quote:
PART 1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

first, what will I have to do to maintain the LC system (like pipe cleaning or temp monitoring)

second, is it safe

should i go for LC or stick with air

1. Answered in TONS of stickies, forums...please search and read before you post something as broad and uninformed as this.
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/226970-water-cooling-essential-threads.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256607-29-watercooling-read-first

2. Yes, as long as you have done a lot of reading for #1

3. Have you read the stickies, done some Google searching, etc? If not (and if you don't want to)...then the last option is your best bet in that list.

Quote:
PART 2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you do recommend LC for me could you please tell me all of the stuff i would need for a custom loop for 1 cpu and 3-4 GPUs + south bridge if you recommend it.

budget for the loop is about $400-500 for this loop but i would like $200-300.
i could do two loops if needed

1. You seriously need to read and become informed what is needed and how watercooling works. Are you really ready to have complete strangers tell you what to spend 100's of dollars on? Would you let someone else tell you what TV or car to buy...no questions asked?

2. Not possible for either budget for the hardware you described. You are looking at close to $800-$1000 depending on specifics.

Quote:
if you do not recommend LC what is the highest quality AIR

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

Related resources
a c 130 K Overclocking
January 3, 2011 9:55:56 PM

1) If you are inexperienced, DO NOT try liquid cooling.
2) OC of 2600K to 5.0 is entirely possible on stock air cooling. How high you can go will depend on the particular sample.
3) Prolimatech megahalems rev b is probably the best air cooler around. Put it in a decent cooling case, and you are good to go.
m
l
January 3, 2011 9:56:42 PM

i have read a lot... and i do know how it works, its just that i am not the best buyer in the computer world considering I was to young to for even the core duos... i was in 3rd or 4th when the duos came out so I am to young to buy a CAR and i would look at specs with the TV... I am not an experienced buyer.

the GPUs are 3 6970s so what would the cost be if you removed those

aggg!!! NM i will just go with air since it is apparently so hard to throw this loop together... i doubt connecting everything would be so hard but i have read up for a while on LC...

i have access to large amounts of Liquid nitrogen (like 12 gallons a month, but that is just useless why do people l2n OC i don't get it)

IM JUST STICKING WITH AIR

when MRIs used Liquid helium i would have had access to it too but...

sorry for my rambling

m
l
January 3, 2011 9:58:06 PM

geofelt said:
2) OC of 2600K to 5.0 is entirely possible on stock air cooling. How high you can go will depend on the particular sample.
3) Prolimatech megahalems rev b is probably the best air cooler around. Put it in a decent cooling case, and you are good to go.

i would go for 5GHz if i got a golden chip and LC
m
l
January 3, 2011 9:59:20 PM

and how do i become experienced without trying it??

other then excessive reading
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2011 10:08:48 PM

geofelt said:

How else would you gain the experience ?

Edit; shoulda read the whole thread
m
l
a c 130 K Overclocking
January 3, 2011 10:08:51 PM

deathbydoubleG said:
and how do i become experienced without trying it??

other then excessive reading

No such thing as excessive reading.

It is the understanding and evaluation that is hard.

Build a pc based on air first, then you will start to understand cooling.

LN is used by competitive overclockers to set records. Not useful for gamers.

Also 3 6970's sounds crazy to me, unless you are planning on triple 3d monitor gaming.
m
l
January 3, 2011 11:02:36 PM

I thought about doing liquid cooling a while ago. After much research I decided that the hassle and expense wasn't worth it. You're looking at a pump, reservoir, radiator, fans, tubing, chemicals to stop fungus from growing in it, plus 1 cpu cooling block, 3 gpu cooling blocks, and a high end case to throw it all in. You might even need a 2nd radiator to adequately cool all 4 components. It's gets real expensive, real quick and that's not even considering the risk to your components if it springs a leak while you're at work or school.

Add in the time it takes to assemble, leak test, clean, etc... Unless you have a ton of time on your hands and money to burn the best route would be a case with good airflow and a big air cooler.

+1 on the 3 6970's as well. That just a little nuts. Almost every review I have ever seen shows greatly diminishing returns from adding a 3rd or 4th card.

Edit: And if you are really looking to spend a ton of money why not go for something like this: Phase Change
m
l
January 4, 2011 4:06:32 AM

geofelt said:
No such thing as excessive reading.

It is the understanding and evaluation that is hard.

Build a pc based on air first, then you will start to understand cooling.

LN is used by competitive overclockers to set records. Not useful for gamers.

Also 3 6970's sounds crazy to me, unless you are planning on triple 3d monitor gaming.

i do use 3 monitors... lol...

i understand the concept of LC completely... they use very simple terminology that everyone with a 4th grade level education should understand ... the total concept is very simple, almost more simple with LC (just harder to assemble)

i know L2N is used to set records its just there is no practical purpose IMO... I guess its just not my cup of tea
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
January 4, 2011 12:52:43 PM

LN2, by nature, is extremely volatile...not in the nature of combustible or explosive, but volatile by the fact it changes state so quickly and boils off. You'd need to have a continuous supply being fed into the pots. You'd be much better off with phase change if you are wanting super-cooled components.

For watercooling (LC), you are right; it doesn't take a nuclear physicist to figure out and implement. It does, however, take fairly deep pockets compared to air cooling. Now, with that being said, you could go the 'budget' route and use universal GPU blocks + RAMsinks and save yourself $40-$50 for each card, but full cover blocks cool better. You still need a significant amount of radiators and a powerful pump. Where you can really cut corners is the fittings; compression fittings can get get expensive fast, so consider using traditional barbs.
m
l
January 4, 2011 8:43:20 PM

Best answer selected by deathbydoubleG.
m
l
January 7, 2011 2:09:52 AM

got some of my dad's office's liquid nitrogen and froze my pencil, carrot, glass of water, and a flower. after that i pored the rest on the ground and it beaded up and went everywhere... once we made ice cream with it (some expensive ice cream to make to... like $90 a bowl)
m
l
!