I have studio XPS 1640 Windows 7. I want external HDD . whst is my fstest port?

I have studio XPS 1640 Windows 7 64 . I want external HDD . whst is my fastest port? USB, SATA or 1394? I will be using it for ADOBE temporary files. I do not care if I need to a power source.
2 answers Last reply
More about studio 1640 windows external whst fstest port
  1. If your USB ports are USB 3.0 then these are easily the fastest. However, it is more likely that they are USB 2.0 - the speed differences between 1394, eSATA and USB 2 are probably too small to notice. It depends on what other devices you intend to plug into your laptop. For example: Personally I use a lot of USB devices so I would choose the eSATA as this frees up the limited number of 1394 and USB ports for other gadgets.
  2. Rab1d-BDGR said:
    If your USB ports are USB 3.0 then these are easily the fastest. However, it is more likely that they are USB 2.0 - the speed differences between 1394, eSATA and USB 2 are probably too small to notice. It depends on what other devices you intend to plug into your laptop. For example: Personally I use a lot of USB devices so I would choose the eSATA as this frees up the limited number of 1394 and USB ports for other gadgets.

Thank you very much for your guidance. I made my choice and went with eSATA for this LaCie External 1 terrabyte drive. It claims 3000gbs transfer rate over eSata which is 10 times faster than USB 2, they claim. But I also have the problem as you do with not enough USB ports and my 1394 port is what I need for my movie camera. Adobe CS5 Premiere pro will only capture from that port (1394).

So again, thank you.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives XPS Windows 7 Studio External Hard Drive Storage