my downloads are going somewhere else!

Ok... sounds weird I know... but I always place my downloads into a folder I
have created called jo's sims... I check them all there, unzip them there,
then make back ups of them there. When I click to download something I have
always had the option of where to save them... UNTIL this week...and about
80% of things I'm downloading are going into a temporary file which I don't
want!!!! Surely all the sites haven't arranged this simultaneously? What
have I done?? I want the old system back...arrghhhhh... HELP!

~ jo

http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269
8 answers Last reply
More about downloads else

    "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > Ok... sounds weird I know... but I always place my downloads into a folder
    > I have created called jo's sims... I check them all there, unzip them
    > there, then make back ups of them there. When I click to download
    > something I have always had the option of where to save them... UNTIL this
    > week...and about 80% of things I'm downloading are going into a temporary
    > file which I don't want!!!! Surely all the sites haven't arranged this
    > simultaneously? What have I done?? I want the old system
    > back...arrghhhhh... HELP!
    >
    > ~ jo
    >
    > http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269

    I don't know if it will help but you might try clearing your browser temp
    files.
    Tools - Internet options... - (General tab) Delete Files..

    That's not the sites, it's your computer - just right-click on the Download
    button and choose save as ...

    You can alter the default setting but I've forgotten how. Maybe someone
    else will know.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    > That's not the sites, it's your computer - just right-click on the
    > Download
    > button and choose save as ...

    I don't get the option to right click and save as...and if I left click the
    download it automatically goes to a temp file......

    > You can alter the default setting but I've forgotten how. Maybe someone
    > else will know.

    Oh I hope someone knows...... thanks anyway :)

    > I don't get the option to right click and save as...and if I left click
    the
    > download it automatically goes to a temp file......

    AFAIK that's the default Windows setting. Not all sites allow
    right-clicking or it may not be enabled on your mouse. This stuff must be
    in Control Panel somewhere.

    Sorry I can't be more help.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    >> That's not the sites, it's your computer - just right-click on the
    >> Download
    >> button and choose save as ...
    >
    > I don't get the option to right click and save as...and if I left click
    > the download it automatically goes to a temp file......
    >

    >> You can alter the default setting but I've forgotten how. Maybe someone
    >> else will know.
    >
    > Oh I hope someone knows...... thanks anyway :)
    >
    > ~ jo
    >
    > http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269
    >

    >> "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    >>> Ok... sounds weird I know... but I always place my downloads into a
    >>> folder
    >>> have created called jo's sims... I check them all there, unzip them
    >> there,
    >>> then make back ups of them there. When I click to download something I
    >> have
    >>> always had the option of where to save them... UNTIL this week...and
    >>> about
    >>> 80% of things I'm downloading are going into a temporary file which I
    >> don't
    >>> want!!!! Surely all the sites haven't arranged this simultaneously?
    >>> What
    >>> have I done?? I want the old system back...arrghhhhh... HELP!
    >>>
    >>> ~ jo
    >>>
    >>> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269

    Try going (in IE), into the
    Tools
    Internet Options
    Security Tab
    Click Internet,
    Custom Level and then look for the heading
    Downloads
    with the subheading

    "Automatic prompting for file downloads" and "Enable" it if you find that
    it has been disabled.

    File download should be already been enabled if you have not been having
    problems there.

    (Clicking the Query button against the option explains what it does),

    Skeatsan''co

    "Skeatsan''co" wrote in message in response to
    "jo" and "Maxon"

    >>> That's not the sites, it's your computer - just right-click on the
    >>> Download
    >>> button and choose save as ...
    >>
    >> I don't get the option to right click and save as...and if I left click
    >> the download it automatically goes to a temp file......
    >>

    >>> You can alter the default setting but I've forgotten how. Maybe someone
    >>> else will know.
    >>
    >> Oh I hope someone knows...... thanks anyway :)
    >>
    >> ~ jo
    >>
    >> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269
    >>

    >>> "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    >>> there,
    >>> have
    >>> don't

    > Try going (in IE), into the
    > Tools
    > Internet Options
    > Security Tab
    > Click Internet,
    > Custom Level and then look for the heading
    > Downloads
    > with the subheading
    >
    > "Automatic prompting for file downloads" and "Enable" it if you find that
    > it has been disabled.
    >
    > File download should be already been enabled if you have not been having
    > problems there.
    >
    > (Clicking the Query button against the option explains what it does),
    >
    > Skeatsan''co

    That's done it!!! Thanks :) the query I have now is how did it get changed
    without me altering it?? I'm just so glad it's back to how it's been :)
    Thanks guys for your help!

    > "Skeatsan''co" wrote in message in response to
    > "jo" and "Maxon"
    >>>>>

    >> Try going (in IE), into the
    >> Tools
    >> Internet Options
    >> Security Tab
    >> Click Internet,
    >> Custom Level and then look for the heading
    >> Downloads
    >> with the subheading
    >>
    >> "Automatic prompting for file downloads" and "Enable" it if you find
    >> that it has been disabled.
    >>
    >> File download should be already been enabled if you have not been having
    >> problems there.
    >>
    >> (Clicking the Query button against the option explains what it does),
    >>
    >> Skeatsan''co
    >
    > That's done it!!! Thanks :) the query I have now is how did it get
    > changed without me altering it?? I'm just so glad it's back to how it's
    > been :) Thanks guys for your help!
    >
    > ~ jo
    >
    > http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269

    It could be that you opted for an automatic update of some software and that
    did it. Just do a virus and trojan checker just in case though!

    I recommend Spybot- search and Destroy, Spywareblaster (new version just
    out), Sygate Personal Firewall and AVG 7 all free programs that do minimal
    interference with your setup.
    MajorGeeks.com is a good place for checking out the latest stuff.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/

    Skeatsan''co

    I completely and 100% second that. I also use AdAware.

    Major Geeks always makes me laugh but it's a really useful site.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Skeatsan''co" <overthemoon@overthemoonagain.co.uk> wrote in message

    > It could be that you opted for an automatic update of some software and
    that
    > did it. Just do a virus and trojan checker just in case though!
    >
    > I recommend Spybot- search and Destroy, Spywareblaster (new version just
    > out), Sygate Personal Firewall and AVG 7 all free programs that do minimal
    > interference with your setup.
    > MajorGeeks.com is a good place for checking out the latest stuff.
    > http://www.majorgeeks.com/
    >
    > Skeatsan''co

Sims Games Video Games