my downloads are going somewhere else!

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 1, 2005 3:10:06 PM

Ok... sounds weird I know... but I always place my downloads into a folder I
have created called jo's sims... I check them all there, unzip them there,
then make back ups of them there. When I click to download something I have
always had the option of where to save them... UNTIL this week...and about
80% of things I'm downloading are going into a temporary file which I don't
want!!!! Surely all the sites haven't arranged this simultaneously? What
have I done?? I want the old system back...arrghhhhh... HELP!

~ jo

http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...

More about : downloads

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:10:07 PM

"jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Ok... sounds weird I know... but I always place my downloads into a folder
> I have created called jo's sims... I check them all there, unzip them
> there, then make back ups of them there. When I click to download
> something I have always had the option of where to save them... UNTIL this
> week...and about 80% of things I'm downloading are going into a temporary
> file which I don't want!!!! Surely all the sites haven't arranged this
> simultaneously? What have I done?? I want the old system
> back...arrghhhhh... HELP!
>
> ~ jo
>
> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...

I don't know if it will help but you might try clearing your browser temp
files.
Tools - Internet options... - (General tab) Delete Files..
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:18:39 PM

That's not the sites, it's your computer - just right-click on the Download
button and choose save as ...

You can alter the default setting but I've forgotten how. Maybe someone
else will know.

Best wishes
Maxon

"jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Ok... sounds weird I know... but I always place my downloads into a folder
> have created called jo's sims... I check them all there, unzip them
there,
> then make back ups of them there. When I click to download something I
have
> always had the option of where to save them... UNTIL this week...and about
> 80% of things I'm downloading are going into a temporary file which I
don't
> want!!!! Surely all the sites haven't arranged this simultaneously? What
> have I done?? I want the old system back...arrghhhhh... HELP!
>
> ~ jo
>
> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...

Related resources
April 2, 2005 3:32:55 AM

> That's not the sites, it's your computer - just right-click on the
> Download
> button and choose save as ...

I don't get the option to right click and save as...and if I left click the
download it automatically goes to a temp file......

> You can alter the default setting but I've forgotten how. Maybe someone
> else will know.

Oh I hope someone knows...... thanks anyway :)

~ jo

http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...

> "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Ok... sounds weird I know... but I always place my downloads into a
>> folder
>> have created called jo's sims... I check them all there, unzip them
> there,
>> then make back ups of them there. When I click to download something I
> have
>> always had the option of where to save them... UNTIL this week...and
>> about
>> 80% of things I'm downloading are going into a temporary file which I
> don't
>> want!!!! Surely all the sites haven't arranged this simultaneously?
>> What
>> have I done?? I want the old system back...arrghhhhh... HELP!
>>
>> ~ jo
>>
>> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 3:32:56 AM

> I don't get the option to right click and save as...and if I left click
the
> download it automatically goes to a temp file......

AFAIK that's the default Windows setting. Not all sites allow
right-clicking or it may not be enabled on your mouse. This stuff must be
in Control Panel somewhere.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Best wishes
Maxon
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 3:32:56 AM

"jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> That's not the sites, it's your computer - just right-click on the
>> Download
>> button and choose save as ...
>
> I don't get the option to right click and save as...and if I left click
> the download it automatically goes to a temp file......
>

>> You can alter the default setting but I've forgotten how. Maybe someone
>> else will know.
>
> Oh I hope someone knows...... thanks anyway :)
>
> ~ jo
>
> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...
>

>> "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Ok... sounds weird I know... but I always place my downloads into a
>>> folder
>>> have created called jo's sims... I check them all there, unzip them
>> there,
>>> then make back ups of them there. When I click to download something I
>> have
>>> always had the option of where to save them... UNTIL this week...and
>>> about
>>> 80% of things I'm downloading are going into a temporary file which I
>> don't
>>> want!!!! Surely all the sites haven't arranged this simultaneously?
>>> What
>>> have I done?? I want the old system back...arrghhhhh... HELP!
>>>
>>> ~ jo
>>>
>>> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...

Try going (in IE), into the
Tools
Internet Options
Security Tab
Click Internet,
Custom Level and then look for the heading
Downloads
with the subheading

"Automatic prompting for file downloads" and "Enable" it if you find that
it has been disabled.

File download should be already been enabled if you have not been having
problems there.

(Clicking the Query button against the option explains what it does),

Skeatsan''co
April 2, 2005 5:17:56 PM

"Skeatsan''co" wrote in message in response to
"jo" and "Maxon"

>>> That's not the sites, it's your computer - just right-click on the
>>> Download
>>> button and choose save as ...
>>
>> I don't get the option to right click and save as...and if I left click
>> the download it automatically goes to a temp file......
>>

>>> You can alter the default setting but I've forgotten how. Maybe someone
>>> else will know.
>>
>> Oh I hope someone knows...... thanks anyway :)
>>
>> ~ jo
>>
>> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...
>>

>>> "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>>> there,
>>> have
>>> don't

> Try going (in IE), into the
> Tools
> Internet Options
> Security Tab
> Click Internet,
> Custom Level and then look for the heading
> Downloads
> with the subheading
>
> "Automatic prompting for file downloads" and "Enable" it if you find that
> it has been disabled.
>
> File download should be already been enabled if you have not been having
> problems there.
>
> (Clicking the Query button against the option explains what it does),
>
> Skeatsan''co

That's done it!!! Thanks :)  the query I have now is how did it get changed
without me altering it?? I'm just so glad it's back to how it's been :)
Thanks guys for your help!

~ jo

http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 5:17:57 PM

> "Skeatsan''co" wrote in message in response to
> "jo" and "Maxon"
>>>>>

>> Try going (in IE), into the
>> Tools
>> Internet Options
>> Security Tab
>> Click Internet,
>> Custom Level and then look for the heading
>> Downloads
>> with the subheading
>>
>> "Automatic prompting for file downloads" and "Enable" it if you find
>> that it has been disabled.
>>
>> File download should be already been enabled if you have not been having
>> problems there.
>>
>> (Clicking the Query button against the option explains what it does),
>>
>> Skeatsan''co
>
> That's done it!!! Thanks :)  the query I have now is how did it get
> changed without me altering it?? I'm just so glad it's back to how it's
> been :)  Thanks guys for your help!
>
> ~ jo
>
> http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...

It could be that you opted for an automatic update of some software and that
did it. Just do a virus and trojan checker just in case though!

I recommend Spybot- search and Destroy, Spywareblaster (new version just
out), Sygate Personal Firewall and AVG 7 all free programs that do minimal
interference with your setup.
MajorGeeks.com is a good place for checking out the latest stuff.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/

Skeatsan''co
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 5:17:58 PM

I completely and 100% second that. I also use AdAware.

Major Geeks always makes me laugh but it's a really useful site.

Best wishes
Maxon

!