Looks like i'm failed to stress up my athlon 2 x2 250 base clock

roymaroe

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
i'm not sure how to see if my system are stable enough to run and raise per 2 increment by 10 second gap base clock from 200Mhz into around 250 to 260 to become 3Mhz to 3,5Mhz (nearly 3,5Mhz i'm not wait enough and just want to raise 5 increment by around 10 seconds or 15 second) and suddenly there's he goes my screen going blue and said windows or system have to shutdown because it crash or something....i see my temps are running around 42c and 45c if i use internet and not know if i use game....is that good enough? because i just modified a cooling ventilation in my casing an stock AC fan (later i will put a picture if its help) anyway......i wanna to know what wrong with my OC procedures? what exact seconds or minutes to raise base clock and how much per sec or minutes per increment?......or somehow i miss something in my procedures??? i'm using mobo MSI 740GM-P25, athlon 2 x2 250, 2GB memory, 4GB readyboost from USB, VGA geforce 210 ( i'm using MSI stock software "overclockingCenter" to OC...not capable to use BIOS because i'm affraid that i'm ruin something ( this is my first computer that buy with my own money ) please help me with the solution for my problems..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :sweat:

(ALL PARTS THAT I'VE USED IN MY CPU ARE STOCK 100% NONE OF IT ARE CUSTOM-i wanna use air cooling mode for my cpu because of my budget! i'm still wait for my paycheck and hardworks money

Solution
This is my overclocking guide for locked multiplier AMD cpu's, Its does not pertain to your specific system configuration But is written specificly in regard to the AMD AthlonII X2 250 CPU you are running

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This chip has a locked multiplier so you are going to have to Increase the System refference speed (FSB) to raise the core clock.

Remember to get some good temperature monitoring software
(Speedfan), a cpu identifier software (CPU-Z) and a very intensive system tester for stability testing ( I recommend Prime95 )
I dont know if you are running an aftermarket cooler or not but keep a good eye on the CPU Temp (Max temp is 74C)...

cmi86

Distinguished
You need to lower your ram frequency 1 speed lower in the BIOS
Example 800 mhz DDR2 ram per channel is 400Mhz so set your bios to 333 to make the standard 667 and then let the overclocking bring the ram speed back to its stock speed of 800.

roymaroe

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
kay, i will do that in ASAP, but i may ask! what would that do to my problem? is it the problem came from RAM setting that won't allowed me to OC pass 3500Mhz?? i'm newbie in here, i buy my CPU for my works in graphic designer...i have multiple works that use autocad, poser, maya, acrobat and major graphic files that come from client, i already tried to work as fast as i can, but still my computer won't catch my speed. i need to compact this CPU to do more jobs for me and do multiple jobs without lagging. so i need many solutions from you all to help me in paiiiiinnnn.....i have....not so hard ok the procedures because i'm newbie in here, still lot to learn in or how to deal with BIOS, OC or CPU etc....subject an easy as you can wrote to me.....hiks i will find any infos too in internet on how to deal this kind of problem

cmi86

Distinguished
Because when Clocking a chip with a locked multiplier ( like the AthlonII X2's) You have to Increase the FSB to increase clock speed. The thing about FSB increases is that they also speed up the rest of the system aswell for example your north bridge and ram frequencies will increase along with the CPU. Your ram is only capable of running so fast before it will not function, This is why you need to set the memory timing down so the FSB increases will bring it back towards its stock speed instead of past its limits.

Please provide me with your full system specifications (eg, CPU,RAM,MOBO,PWR SUPPLY, GPU and cooling. Provide full specs and model numbers

roymaroe

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
this is my spec, may this help you to help me!
-windows 7 ultimate 32bit
-mobo MSI type 740GM-P25 model system MS-7623
-default system BIOS (i merely not upgrade it into newest one)
-athlon 2 x2 250
-memory 2GB DDR3
-page file 849mb used, 3245mb available
-directx 11
-vga Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB (current display 1366 * 768 32bit 60hertz)
-HD SATA 160GB (100GB system-60GB for the global files)
-casing include 500watt psu (the most cheapest i got with my money when i buy
this CPU)
-Readyboost using my flashdisk 4Gb to enchance my system (don't know the difference but the windows 7 tutorials said so)
-monitor 16 inch lcd
-i currently have standard cooling (1 fan stock procesor+1 stock fan casing+1 sub fan stock casing)
-last night i just added a powerfull fan that once used for cooling hardware like refridgerator into inside my casing to blew out hot air and in the future i want to add and 4 of it inside my wall casing for extreme cooling (i forget the spec of the fan because it's already inside it as i wrote it now)

may this infos can help you, because this all i can see to write!!

cmi86

Distinguished
This is my overclocking guide for locked multiplier AMD cpu's, Its does not pertain to your specific system configuration But is written specificly in regard to the AMD AthlonII X2 250 CPU you are running

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This chip has a locked multiplier so you are going to have to Increase the System refference speed (FSB) to raise the core clock.

Remember to get some good temperature monitoring software
(Speedfan), a cpu identifier software (CPU-Z) and a very intensive system tester for stability testing ( I recommend Prime95 )
I dont know if you are running an aftermarket cooler or not but keep a good eye on the CPU Temp (Max temp is 74C)

1-Enter BIOS, Set CPU Clock Frequency to manual

2-Decrease ram frequency by one settiing Example>>800 to 667(because speeding up the bus is speeding up your ram aswel)

3-Increase system referrence speed (FSB) starting at 200 in increments of 5Mhz

4-Repeat this process booting into windows each time and running Stability testing software until machine becomes unstable (Minimum 15 min test time in Prime95, longer it runs the more thorough the results)

5-Once unstable level is reached set the system referrence clock back 5Mhz to gain the highest stable system clock

6-If your referrence clock is at or below 240 save and exit BIOS, your done. If you referrence clock is above 240 There is a little bit more adjustment needed

7-Open CPU-Z and write down VCore Voltage

8-Enter BIOS and set VCore Voltage to manual and Increase voltage by values of 0.01,After each increase boot to windows and run stability tests( This is where you really need to watch the temps). Repeat process until a stable environment is found

FYI any referrence clock above 245-250 (depending on mobo) is also going to require NB & SB Voltage increases, possibly RAM Voltage ingreases aswell.
Referrence your motherboad in this case as all chipsets are different in their voltage tolerances. Above stated Increments and methods apply

**WARNING**
Voltage increases drastically increase hardware Temperature Indexes, entering incorrect values could result in damaged hardware !!!

My referrence clock is set at 240Mhz yeilding a core clock of 3600Mhz and a NB frequency of 2400Mhz, the increase has returned my ram frequency to 800Mhz OC from the 667 setting in BIOS " This is why I set the RAM frequency back in the BIOS.
Temperatures are at 32c Idle and 42c Full load with Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Cooler, stock cooler will run significantly higher at these settings. I strongly recommend an aftermarket cooler especially if voltage increases have been made.

**My system settings are purely for example and my cause damage to a system with an insufficient hardware profile**

Hope this helps, Good Luck!

Solution

roymaroe

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
O_O OMG.......this is tough! BUT i i will do this best...i will do this step by step as you said...thanks alot for the infos.....though is hard to do it but i have to learn my machine...anyway this setting is from the BIOS right?? do i have to upgrade my BIOS as well? because when i see the upgrade scan from MSI "liveupdate" i see my BIOS has to be upgrade with newer one an AMIRBIOS....if its have! then i have to do it (current BIOS version 2.30-the newer one is version 2.50)