Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Does replacing the stock heatsink void the warranty?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 4, 2011 4:15:05 PM

I am building a i7 950 with the Asus sabertooth motherboard, I've read posts in the forum stating that I need to replace the stock heatsink with a better heatsink otherwise it will be really hot. My question is if I do that would it void the CPU warranty? Any feedback will be appreciated, thanks
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 4, 2011 4:34:34 PM

Technically, yes. If you use any heatsink other thank the bundled heatsink/thermal gunk, they won't replace your chip if its dead.

But in any respect, just by opening the box wrong voids any warranty...if you read the fine print.

Getting a better heatsink is always a decent idea, even if you don't plan to overclock. They are fairly cheap and will perform better than the stock cooler. Just ensure good case airflow and become informed on applying thermal paste (TIM).
Score
January 4, 2011 5:27:48 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Technically, yes. If you use any heatsink other thank the bundled heatsink/thermal gunk, they won't replace your chip if its dead.

But in any respect, just by opening the box wrong voids any warranty...if you read the fine print.

Getting a better heatsink is always a decent idea, even if you don't plan to overclock. They are fairly cheap and will perform better than the stock cooler. Just ensure good case airflow and become informed on applying thermal paste (TIM).

thanks for the reply. I was wondering what is the percentage of people actually doing it(using a third party heatsink) and the percentage of the CPU would die? It seems like I have to do it, but then if something goes wrong, they won't replace it, it's pretty frustrating......
Score
Related resources
January 4, 2011 5:39:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, but how would they ever know? If the fails you aren't going to ship back the whole computer intact, just the CPU.

they wouldn't know by looking at the CPU whether the stock heatsink has been detached before?
Score
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 4, 2011 5:43:56 PM

A large percentage of people use a different heatsink than one provided, especially people that build their own machines. That being said, I am betting a very, very small portion of people actually have chips die from overheating. Almost every motherboard protects against thermal and BIOS setting damage in some form or another.

Quote:
Yes, but how would they ever know? If the fails you aren't going to ship back the whole computer intact, just the CPU.

When you ship back the CPU they also want the boxed cooler. When they see it in pristine condition (no dust, no sign of the thermal paste being 'used' or any sign of wear) they'll know you didn't use it.
Score
January 6, 2011 5:23:08 PM

princejoe18 said:
I am building a i7 950 with the Asus sabertooth motherboard, I've read posts in the forum stating that I need to replace the stock heatsink with a better heatsink otherwise it will be really hot. My question is if I do that would it void the CPU warranty? Any feedback will be appreciated, thanks

Not being rude but that was a silly question you asked there. They would never know.
Score
January 24, 2013 12:50:31 AM

I just bought a new core i7, and im using a coolermaster v8 (awesome), and i kept the original heatsink as well, so if i ever have to send it in, i can just clean off the processor, install with the original heatsink ( which, btw, has thermal gunk in 3 lines across the contact surface, so they WILL know), and then let it run for a while, and maybe crank up the fans and open a used vacuum bag, so it gets nice and dusty :p 
Score
June 15, 2013 7:10:31 AM

Just use the stock cooler for a while then replace it with the better heatsink
Score
!