DVD ROM is able to burn dvds but not able to read dvds , why???

GamersAreTheBest

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Hi Everyone ,

I have searched for hours in google for a solution but all what i found is "dvd rom reads but does not write" . So my problem with my drive is that it is able to burn a blank dvd but can't verify it [always getting an error but the burn process is successful ], hold up that is not the case sometimes nero makes mistakes , when i keep a dvd movie in my drive it freezes in the menu part but when i play the movie in my laptop it plays just fine , wired eh . I doubt cleaning the lens would do any good since it burns dvds flawlessly .

Solutions i tired to get this problem fixed but failed ;
*Updated my firmware to the latest successfully
*Tired to play the dvd in another program but the same problem FREEZING HAPPENS
*Closed all the programs running before playing the dvd
*Updated my graphics card to the latest but i doubt it had anything to do with the freezing
*Warranty period was over

Let me add that the drive was bought in 2009 [ i have forgotten the month] and it was reading and writing nicely until this month , only writing but not reading . Its a LG burner model gh22ns40 with the latest firmware . So tell me forum what is the problem and if u need anymore information let me now .

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

The read laser is different from the write laser, and of course there's the lense to think about. At any rate, it's possible for a read component to go bad or be misaligned without ruining write capability.

GamersAreTheBest

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010

oright that would make sense if the dvd rom was not completely able to read a dvd , cause you see the dvd rom is able to verify a blank dvd , movie dvd , music dvd and music cd . also when the freezing happens i don't receive an error or anything as such , the disc just stops spinning and thats it .

Anyways thanks for your help .

GamersAreTheBest

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
After a long thinking abut this problem i came up with a theory which actually fixed the problem , so here is what i concluded . The PC is kept under my desk , its kept near the end of the table and a box is kept on the other end of the PC . In the Case there are no fans except for the cpu's stock fan . I decided to see if the sata cables in some way had to do anything with the problem so i shut my PC down and unplugged the external cables and kept the pc on my desk . The moment i opened the tray the amount of heat coming out was huge [no smoke or anything just hot air ] . I discounted the ROM's sata cable from both the ends and reconnected it back. Closed the tray and connected everything back and wallah the ROM started working flawlessly , the verifying process after burning is successful and i don't get any freezing while playing a movie .

Summing up everything i just mumbled , heat could be a factor of many factors that could cause a problem in someone's computer .