Sign in with
Your question

Really an "upgrade"

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 3, 2009 4:29:03 PM

I currently have a homebuilt system running an Intel P4 2800 (single core), 2g ram and a Nvidia GeForce 7600 AGP vid card.

I'm looking at a system that has the following:
Athlon X2 5000+
NForce MB w/ built in GeForce 6150 LE graphics
3 GB DDR2 ram

My thing is, i'm on a very tight budget, but since my old system is really on it's last legs, and the system i'm looking at appears to be a steal at a little under $400, I wanted to know if I am missing something. For now I mainly play WoW, and also feel that my current system is not up to the task. My framerate in Dalaran frequently drops to below 10 frames/sec. I'd also like to try some newer games like Fallout 3, but know that my current system would barely run it, if at all. Also, I'm wondering if the new system is capable of running another vid card in SLI mode with the on-board GPU?

Tips appreciated

More about : upgrade

May 3, 2009 4:45:23 PM

I'm not sure if you are asking if you can run the intergrated graphics along with another card or add two more graphics cards for SLI. Either way, please post your power supply and estimated case size. If this is an OEM build, please post the link or provide as much detail as you can.

May 3, 2009 5:36:23 PM

I did heard something that you are automatically SLi-ed to the onboard video card if you use a nVidia card on a nForce board. I've never used SLi before, though, so don't quote me on that. I'll see if I can find a source for that. Either way, SLi your GPU with your onboard graphic would not make much of a difference anyway, since there's such a big gap between the graphical power.

As for the game, you would need a new video card I believe. At least get a GeForce 8800 or equivalent if your budget is tight.
Related resources
a c 365 U Graphics card
May 3, 2009 5:57:18 PM

No, you cannot SLI the integrated 6150LE with another card.

If the newer PC will be in a standard ATX case then you should be able to install a standard video card instead of a low profile video card.

Without knowing what power supply you have it would be difficult to recommend a video card. Generally, the HD 4670 is a decent enough mainstream card that will allow you to most games at medium quality.
May 3, 2009 6:34:03 PM

Agree with Jaguar, that CPU match's pretty good with that card, also card should'nt kill your PSU.
a c 107 U Graphics card
May 3, 2009 6:57:57 PM

Yeah, since that 7600 AGP is faster than the onboard GPU you need a decent dedicated GPU. The hybrid SLI works with the newer DX10 integrated chipsets, ie not the 6150. Hybrid SLI only works with really low end cards and even using such a setup it would still be slower than a standalone 8600GT.

Now that I've said that, you could get a 9500GT without upgrading your PSU and it would be better than that 7600 AGP you have. You can probably use a 4670. At stock speeds, the 5000 is suppose to use under 65W and if we say 20 W for your hard drive and floppy, 25W for a DVD burner, maybe another 15W for the motherboard, and that's using 125W (a generous estimate really). If you have a PSU rated for 300W, then adding a 4670, which uses a max of 75W would give you a max usage of around 200W, or 67% of your PSUs rated output, so you could probably even get away with getting a Radeon 4770 (but I wouldn't risk it ^_^). If your PSU is decent enough then you should be o.k.. For anything faster I would recommend getting a better PSU.
a c 107 U Graphics card
May 3, 2009 6:58:40 PM

oops, for got to add 10W for two sticks of RAM, but still :p 
May 3, 2009 7:35:06 PM

Do they make a 4770 in AGP? I think the fastest you can get is 3850. But not sure. course this would require that your PSU could handle the power requirements of your system and the 3850.
On another note. I upgraded from a S939 system to x3 phenom 2 720, am2+ mobo and 4 GB of DDR2 1066 RAM for right around $320. I already had a hd4850, mind you, so I didn't need a gfx card. But my mobo came with HD3300 onboard gfx too. I think you should do a little more investigating because I think you could get a much better upgrade for that near $400, including a decent gfx card to go with it.
a c 107 U Graphics card
May 3, 2009 7:54:51 PM

ailgatrat said:
Do they make a 4770 in AGP? I think the fastest you can get is 3850. But not sure. course this would require that your PSU could handle the power requirements of your system and the 3850.
On another note. I upgraded from a S939 system to x3 phenom 2 720, am2+ mobo and 4 GB of DDR2 1066 RAM for right around $320. I already had a hd4850, mind you, so I didn't need a gfx card. But my mobo came with HD3300 onboard gfx too. I think you should do a little more investigating because I think you could get a much better upgrade for that near $400, including a decent gfx card to go with it.

Dude, he's going to buy a $400 computer and add a video card.
!