What cpu to upgrade from q6600

i have a gigabyte ep45-ud3p I want to to know whats a step up from this cpu that is a 775 socket?
6 answers Last reply
More about what upgrade q6600
  1. nothing it's to small a step to be worth the money. unless you got enough to build a new i7 rig laying around in which case do that
  2. Q9550 or Q9650. But 505090 is correct. Especially if you are overclocking past, say, 3.2 GHz., The improvements just aren't worth it.

I have a Q6600 and a Q9550, both OC'd to 3.6 GHz. Except for video work where the Q9550 has a small edge, I cannot tell the difference between the two without benchmarking.

Save your money and get an i7 or wait for i5.
  3. Not even i7 upgrade will be worth money since you already have a quad core.

But if you post the specs of ur rig then we can tell what to upgrade.
  4. Your best upgrade would be a quality heat sink and a healthy overclock.
    While both the Q9550 and Q9650 are somewhat faster and more overclockable than your Q6600, the cost of either will put you within spitting distance from a new i7/i5 build.
  5. with a Q6600 @ 3.2 and a very strong GPU or SLi setup...

going to an OC'd I7 might make your FPS go from something like 55fps to 75fps

is there Really any point...?

You would have to be a Serious encoder or something to not want to wait the extra few minutes or so for your encodes to complete lol

I am sticking with my Q6600 @ up to 3.6GHz stable (run it at 3 for now) until my min fps value starts dipping too low.
    Until then it does Not matter What CPU come out. Simple.
  6. well i have a 8800 gts 640 mb. Im trying to hold out for the next gen gpu's
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gigabyte Socket