mart21har

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Hi guys, just overclocked my i7 930 with gigabyte x58a ud3r to 3.5 ghz, i did prime 95 for a couple of mins to a good level of satisfaction.....
3 hours later, disaster struck the part that i thought let me do this all, my corsair h50

the pump is making a weird noise as the liquid is pumped through the radiator... I think that the liquid boiled off... however, the system did not shutdown... i turned it off manually...

I don't see the attraction of the H50.....it pales compared the better air cooler and inhibits case flow. It doesn't make either the top performers or highly recommended lists here:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=447&Itemid=62

Their tests on the H50 were done in 3rd quarter 2009

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=371&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=11

where it lagged a full 4.4 - 5.2 C behind the Megahalems

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=371&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=12

My son's 920 is running at 3.7-3.8 Ghz w/ CPU core temps of 55-58C on the Mega with HT , Speedstep and all other BIOS functions enabled.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

drop to stock clock and slap on original heat sink or whatever you have before ,order different cooler or RMA existing one

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
No, just H50 fail...

I really wish people would do some homework before buying a gimmicky product like the H50. Even the H70 is better due to revisions. Sorry, I just truly believe in being an informed consumer that doesn't believe every marketing lie or buy everything because the box is covered with bright, shiny colors.

jaguarmatt

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

The case they used has no air-flow. =P
They probably used the stock TIM, bad mistake.
Doesn't say how long they tested for.
Also doesn't say what stress test they used. 72c max on a burn in test might not be too bad.

Even so those temperatures are pretty bad for a water cooler. And since it is Corasir doing the testing they will be doing everything they can to make it look as good as possible, this is how companies promote their products. I have an old E6750 (65nm) and a semi decent Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, and at 3.5ghz and 1.39 vCore it only gets into the low 60's under load, granted the TDP is lower for the Core 2, despite being 65nm as opposed to 45nm.

HansVonOhain

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Corsair is an amazing cooler if you get a proper fan for it. What kind of BS these people are feeding? It is unbelievable.

I use both Megahalems and Corsair H50. Tested them on core i7 960 at 4.0ghz 1.24 volts with HT on and I got perfectly the same temps.

Oh an the stock H50 paste is from Shin Etsu, known as a better paste than AS5. AS5's days are over as it is overpriced and after a time it's stored, it seperates into oil and pure silver grains. Get a ceramic based thermal paste for the cooler.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Everybody that says it sucks doesnt even own it or use it in their situation.

I have an h50 and It does great for me. Im clocked up to 3.8 with on i7 860 with ht on and I get temps at 65 during prime test. Thats cooling with the air already inside the case with a push/pull fans at 1500rpm.

I seriously am getting tired of how big and ugly these coolers are getting. I dont want to look into my nice build and see a big a++++ hunk of metal hanging from my motherboard so I purchased the h50 not expecting it to do better than some air coolers.

But thats how it goes. Everybody espically here think they're elite because they chose a different product than you. Gimmie a break.

deegon

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
every one has a point of view, if u liked it then take it back and get it changed. some times s*** happens lol
the h-70 is an improvment over the h-50 if u can fit it in, it is a little bigger

Just to throw it out there... your H50 can't "boil off" the coolant, it's a closed loop. IF there was any air in the line to begin with, then a small portion would be able to evaporate under pressure but it shouldn't really change anything. More likely, the pump is failing. Ideally you can just contact Corsair and they will RMA it for you. In the mean time I hope you have your stock cooler.