i7 920
BIOSTAR TpowerX58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Antec p182
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V
OCZ OCZ3P1600LV6GK DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz 6GB Plat 7-7-7-24
XFX Geforce 260 core 216 + Seagate 640GB 32MB cache
ASUS MK241H
Samsung 22x SATA Lightscribe

I've flashed the BIOS to the 3-04 bios. The 324 is still in beta as far as I can tell. The problems are - only 2gb of ram are detected, and i don't know why. I can't friggin' install my nvidia drivers off the cd becasue they're not for the xp64?? And i can't seem to connect to the internet. The biggest thing that's bothering me is the ram...I think I can evenutally get around that other stuff.

RAM: I have 3x2 gb modules, each in an orange slot.

Any ideas?

ristush

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Hey, maybe try different drivers for your mobo for the ethernet port, I had a problem with my gigabyte mobo and downloading the drivers it off their website worked. Try putting one stick of ram then saving, and then the other see if that does anything.

jackbravo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
so i'm told...but i don't have vista, and don't wanna pay for it...maybe when win7 comes out.....

the bigger issue here is the RAM detection. I thik i may have a caput mobo. I was actually able to fix the other issues with updated drivers.

I tried a bunch of different ram stick/slot combinations. THe manual says that a stick MUST be in the A2 slot. But for me, ONLY the C2 slot gets detected, and if there's no ram there, it's like there's no ram in the system. I really really really really hope this can be sorted out with another bios updated.

Brandon00000

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009

try putting the ram stick that you know for sure is good into slot 2.3 and 4 if it works in those slots then they are good if not then you need a new motherboad smells like rma

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
This may sound a little insensitive, but if you have enough money to spend on that brand spankin new rig, a copy of Vista won't exactly burn a hole in your pocket. Man, that rig is SWEET!

G

sounds like mobo. i'm sure you've swapped the ram sticks and only ran one at a time to make sure it wasn't the ram, right?

alexbruce

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Have you tried re-flashing the bios the one you were originally using? you said everything was ok until you flashed it the 3.04 try going to the beta one and using that

I disagree. I run XP x64 on most of my builds with dual boot Vista x64, and for CAD work,etc. XP x64 is MUCH faster, hence why quite a bit of CAD users still run XP x64.

I agree it's a PITA to get working if you don't have all the drivers (esp. RAID). Graphic card drivers are available for XP x64 from both ATI and nVidia. Most motherboards from Gigabyte/ASUS have drivers for XP x64 as well.

+1.

Also OP, how did you flash BIOS? Was it from Windows? Also try clearing CMOS.

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
MUCH safer to flash from BIOS, although Asus has some utilities for auto downloading and installing BIOS updates. Sometimes if you update to a version that is too recent, it can have bugs. I know that someone I know, with the same mobo as mine, upgraded the BIOS and it mucked up his whole system somehow. It even stopped POSTing. I've just left my BIOS version as what it was when the mobo came. I don't wanna risk anything.

tommylikewingy

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
I know this won't fix your other problems, but you really should download and install Windows 7 Beta 64bit. I love it. You won't want to go back to Vista or XP. If you are short on cash now you can just run the beta version now and then purchase a copy of Windows 7 when it is released.

First, make sure that you inserted the RAM properly. Take it out and put it back in securely. If it still only sees 2GB try one stick at a time. Try the board with only RAM in the first slot. If you post fine then try the other two sticks in the first slot to eliminate the RAM as the problem. Run memtest on each of them. Could be you just got 1 good stick of RAM :D. If all the sticks check out then try one stick in another slot to see if it posts. If not, well you know you got a bad board.

As for the drivers don't use the ones on the CD. Make sure to download whql certified drivers from the net. It's alot of trouble to get XP x64 or Vista X64 to use noncertified drivers.

First thing I'd like to say is I've used XP64 since it's birth. Trying to blame that is a cop out.

Did you try and make the memory run at 1066 or 1333 from the giddy-up ? Are the voltages right ?

Did you try only running 1 stick ?

To get on the net......... did you install the drivers off the disc that came with the mother board ?

Then you can try and pull drivers of of nvidias site.

I can't understand why you thought you needed to update the bios. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Were things ok before hand ?....... but I re-read and I think you did it before you even should have had thoughts about it. Bad move.

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with XP 64. Been using it for years, no probs. Can be a little fiddly, but meh.