Sign in with
Your question

Problem with IDE on Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H

Last response: in Motherboards
September 29, 2009 5:49:12 PM

I just got my motherboard installed, and everything works fine, other than the DVD and CD drives. I couldn't get them to work at all, then had the idea to remove the IDE cable, and just leave the power cable plugged in. Now it powers on with the rest of the computer, ejects and all that good stuff.

I have tried 3 separate IDE cables, and I get the same result each time. Not to mention, I have tried it on two separate optical drives, and a couple of hard drives; have the same result each time.

I have IDE enabled in the BIOS, and it would allow it to power up with IDE to SATA converters I had...unfortunately, they are no longer working.

Does anyone have an idea of what to try? I've looked all around online for a solution, and I can't find anything at all. I haven't ever heard of this sorta thing happening either. Ideas?

edit: I can post any additional information about my the system that's needed. Just let me know what you guys need.
a b V Motherboard
September 30, 2009 3:50:28 AM

How did you connect the optical drives to your motherboard? How many optical drives do you have?
September 30, 2009 4:00:04 AM

I connected the opticals via the IDE cable. They are IDE interfaces, so it's the only way I can connect them without having to use a converter.

I have two, but I tried it in many different ways. DVD drive A and HDD A, DVD A and HDD B, DVD drive B and HDD a....etc. They all had the same result. Pretty much all combinations were tried, including only hooking up 1 device at a time.
a b V Motherboard
September 30, 2009 1:30:09 PM

Do you have the jumpers set correctly on the drives? One as master, one as slave?
Do you have the drives plugged into the correct place on the cable? Master on the end of the cable, slave on the middle connector? If your cable does not have the notch to orientate it the correct way in the plug, (some don't) do you have the cable plugged in the right way? The red striped side of the cable always goes towards pin #1 in the plug, which is also always towards the power connection on the back drives.
PS, you said CD and DVD first, then HDD and DVD later.
It you are hooking up a disk drive and an optical drive, the hard disk drive needs to be set as master.
If you are hooking up 2 optical drives, it does not matter how you set them, as long as you follow the rules I stated above.
!