Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Difference in these Mobos?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 29, 2009 6:29:09 PM

Okay I am trying to decide among three motherboards for a custom build. A "trophy" computer, if you will. Here are the pages.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The first two are EVGA and are the top 2 on my list. I'm really not quite sure what the difference is between them though, other than the more expensive one comes with DIMM covers.

The ASUS would be like a last resort sort of thing if the two EVGA's don't do what I need them to do.

In essence, what I am looking to do is:
-Build a computer that will be able to handle Core i9 when it comes out, and could run Corei7/5 until then.
-Run 3 GTX295's in 3-Way SLI mode
-Max out the memory of the board.

All this, I am going to do over the next year, slowly getting the parts, so price isn't reeeeally a problem, but is still a factor.
All input is appreciated! And thank you in advance!

More about : difference mobos

a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2009 8:41:56 PM

First off, that would be a bad choice in cards. 6 GPUs are not going to scale well, and I will put money on 3 5870s beating 3 GTX 295s.

Not to mention the 5870X2 that will be out in a month or two.

Next, stuffing that much heat into a standard MB is asking for trouble. I hope you are going to water cool. EVGA boards are more suited to water cooling because of the heatsinks around the CPU. They are high and tend to interfere with some air coolers also.

The more expensive of the two boards looks to have better voltage regulation and more OC features. That is the primary difference between the two EVGA boards.

The $300 EVGA board looks to run 3-way SLI in an x16/x8/x8 configuration.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/evga-x58-sli-review/3

So, if you want to actually use those GTX 295s at full bandwidth, you will need an EVGA Classified:
Note that it is also an EATX board, so will need a bit more space than many cases provide. This will give you actual X16/x16/x16 bandwidth.
m
l
September 30, 2009 2:51:56 AM

Thank you for your response Proximon, first off! Very informative, and I laud you for it! :) 
First, the graphics. I will do the research on the 5870 series. Thank you for the tip!
Second, like I said, this will be a "trophy" computer, so I will pull out all the stops!
On the motherboard, I have a very universal case around the house that I can use. It appears I can use ATX and E-ATX in it. I just need to look at the positioning of the screws, because the length and width fit.

I just have one question though, but I might be able to find out myself...I know the 295's have dual GPUs. Since I'm looking to do strictly a performance build, would I be better off doing a Dual SLI or a Triple SLI? And if I do a dual, would single GPUs scale better than duals, as you stated was the case for triple?

sorry if my question seems basic, but I will be researching it at the same time.
Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 30, 2009 5:27:31 AM

If you go with the 295s, your "trophy" PC won't run DX11.

Dunno if that's important to you or not . . . but you did say "trophy".
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 30, 2009 11:06:01 AM

A pair of 5870s is going to be very respectable. I don't think there are any figures out yet on 3-way CF with them... too late and I'm too tired to check also. They SHOULD do well.

There were extensive tests done on dual GTX 295s versus other options over at anandtech. browse back through the graphics card section articles and you see a series of 3 articles on 2-way, 3-way, 4-way.

m
l
September 30, 2009 9:16:11 PM

1844128,5,67645 said:
A pair of 5870s is going to be very respectable.

I looked up the cards, but they are Crossfire. essentially, I want to do SLI. I will look for a board for Crossfire but either way, I know it needs to line up (i.e. Crossfire-Crossfire or SLI-SLI)
Or is there some information I'm missing here? :/ 
once again, thank you!
[/quote]
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2009 2:38:05 AM

X58 boards support both crossfire and SLI. So do the better P55 boards.

SLI = Using two or more NVidia based cards together to increase performance in games.

Crossfire = Using two or more ATI based cards together to increase performance in games.

I see what has happened here. You have brands confused with chipsets.

EVGA is a brand. They used to make boards based on NVidia chipsets. It used to be that only NVidia chipsets supported SLI. Many other brands also made NVidia chipset boards, such as Asus and MSI.

NVidia no longer makes chipsets for Intel boards. All boards supporting i7 and i5 are now exclusively Intel chipset boards.... X58 or P55. NVidia has licensed these chipsets to support SLI... they already supported crossfire.

So EVGA now makes Intel chipset motherboards. They never did before.

ANY X58 motherboard you buy, with maybe a few exceptions, will support BOTH SLI AND crossfire. You CANNOT buy an X58 board that doesn't support crossfire, but maybe there are a few that don't support SLI.

October 1, 2009 3:10:08 AM

Yes! thank you! questions answered!
Now I know what I am aiming for :D 
Thanks guys! :sol: 
m
l
!