boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Come on......that extra $40 is what they include for installing it for you.

We all (or at least most of us...) know by now that the cheapest way to make a computer is to build it yourself, it saves a ton of money.

cokenbeer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

It was definitely necessary that you start a thread informing us all that Dell is overpriced. If you want good value, build it yourself or find a store that has a small assembly fee.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Lol, ... no self respecting PC enthusiast or anyone who can build their own system would seriously consider buying from Dell or anything Dell.

Dell even tweaks or creates their own motherboard BIOS to make it difficult to upgrade because if everyone could easily upgrade using Dell parts, then Dell couldn't see you another system.

Support your local independent computer store.

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009

:eek: NO WAY!
You've got to be lying to us. I could have sworn that the sky was green ;)

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

BLASPHEMY!!! Soon you ham eaters will kneel before the Bacon God and beg forgiveness for your slander!

taye

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
try paying 500 for a 3870 on mac pro and 200 for a 640gb HDD. at least on a dell if the HDD or GPU goes kaput, you can always get a newer PCI-e card or a cheap and solid HDD on newegg. I hate to admit that since I am also use a mac + mac fanboy for the better half of my college life

simplyderp

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
My classmate bragged that he got a new gaming computer for $2,500. He said it was a Gateway. I said, "nice, what graphics card." He half remembered and tentatively said, "I think its uhh 9600GT." I had to lulz.

Wolfshadw

Titan
While I'm certainly not defending Dell's pricing strategy, I think that in addition to the over-priced graphics card, Dell also has to put in an equally over-priced, but decent quality power supply to power the better graphics card.

If all you need is a basic web browser/e-mail system, I have no problems going with a low-end Dell system (currently typing this on a Dell GX270). As soon as you start thinking you might want to do more, it's time to start thinking build your own (unless you don't care about tossing away oodles of cash).

-Wolf sends