H67 Overclocking

Which is correct about H67 overclocking?

• The motherboard manuals.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • The CPU reviews.

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I have downloaded and (partially) read the manuals for the Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2 and the MSI H67MS-E33. Both are the cheapest (based on the features) H67 motherboards from those two manufactures. (Asus does not have its manuals up yet, as far as I know.) BOTH support multiplier overclocking. As these are the cheapest, I do not think that it is a workaround in the BIOS or any thing like that (that's actually the reason I went for them).

What do you think? Are the manuals right, or are the CPU reviews? I guess we'll know in a few days, once the H67 motherboard reviews start coming out.

Interesting.....

As far as I know, the overclocking on a H67 based motherboard is very limited, if anything. Even with the K cpu's.

I think it is limited to increasing the max turbo only by up to 4 multiplier steps. If so, both the manuals and reviewers are correct.

The only fully unlocked micro-atx motherboards I have found to date are the ASUS P8P67-M and P8P67-M pro.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
My feeling is that Intel will say that H67 chipsets don't support overclocking but Gigabyte et al won't be able to resist and allow it. Hurrah!

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Well, according to Gigabyte, their GA-H67MA-UD2H does not support overclocking ("According to specification, GA-H67M-UD2H does not support overclock function."). I don't know what "specification" they are referring to, as the board specifications don't say anything, and neither do those for their P67 boards. I am yet to hear from Asus.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
info: Please wait for a site operator to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'Victor'
xx@xxxx.xxx: Hi,
Victor: Hello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Support chat service. We are glad to be of service. How can I help you today?
xx@xxxx.xxx: According to http://www.intel.com/consumer/game/gaming-power.htm, overclocking 2nd Gen Core processors requires a P67 chipset. According to http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/prodbrief/324586.pdf, H67 supports the overclocking features of unlocked 2nd gen Core processors. Which is correct?
xx@xxxx.xxx: I may add that the overview page for the F67 chipset refers to P67.
xx@xxxx.xxx: H67, I mean, not F.
Victor: On the information that I have, both chipset's H and P will support the overclocking on unlocked processors. This will depend on the integration of the chipset and the BIOS.
xx@xxxx.xxx: Very interesting! Nearly all the reviews I have read state that only P67 supports overclocking.
Victor: Currently in our motherboards the P67 chipset motherboard has enabled the overclocking features.
xx@xxxx.xxx: Thankyou. So it is dependent on the motherboard manufacture as to whether an H67 board can overclock or not, I believe.
Victor: Correct.
xx@xxxx.xxx: OK. Now I know what I'll be doing, thankyou.
Victor: You are welcome and thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.
Victor: Thank you for using chat. We value your suggestions and would appreciate it if you would take a moment to complete our survey. The survey will appear when you click "Close'' to close the chat window. Have a nice day.
Chat transcript with Intel customer service.

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I believe that the new H67 and P67 boards have an unlocked CPU clock multiplier, such as AMD 770 and up boards have been offering. Not a true OC method, but definitely a plus. Watch the video on this linked page:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070
As far as mobo manufacturers go, it seems that Intel has specified certain features to enhance the Sandy Bridge. OC'ing them is a selling point, as much as it was for AMD with unlocking Phenom II X2 and X3 dormant cores and, also, their unlocked core multipliers in the BE's.
I might even have to "break the bank" and build a new SB system.

Still confusing. What type of overclocking are we talking about? Most think about cpu multiplier overclocking.

I think that the overclocking capabilities of the "K" cpu's on H67 chipsets is limited to the capability of overclocking the graphics, not the cpu multiplier.

G

well, no it seems to me that there are more overclocking options than just multiplier or IGP-oc

i was looking for the mainboard MSI H67MA-E45 right now and with a look in the handbook/manual on the msi website there are screenshots and how-to's for overclocking CPU AND IGP (volatge, etc...) have a look!

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Here's my reply from Gigabyte to the overclocking question.

1/14/2011 03:20
Question : Is the H67 motherboard able to overclock the CPU via the clock multiplier?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Name : GA-H67MA-UD2H(rev. 1.0)
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 1.0
BIOS Ver : 1
Serial No. :
Purchase Dealer :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VGA Brand : Intel Model : HD3000
CPU Brand : Intel Model : i5 2500K Speed : 3
Operation System : Win XP SP :
Memory Brand : Corsair Type :
Memory Size : 4 Speed : 1333
Power Supply : 400 W

Answer:

Hi,

You can adjust the CPU Clock Ratio in BIOS. Please refer to the attached user manual for more details.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Seems like the reply I got. "According to specification, GA-H67M-UD2H does not support overclock function." I don't know what "specification" they were referring to, as the board specifications don't say anything, and neither do those for their P67 boards. Same motherboard as you mentioned. Seems like for you, they looked in the manual, saw the CPU multiplier, and said it can.