PC won't post or gets stuck on BIOS screen

jefflee

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
proc: Intel Q6600
mobo: GIGABYTE P35-DS3R
ram: 4x1gb DDR2 PC6400

Recently when I try to boot up, sometimes the system won't post past, ie no BIOS screen, no beep from mobo. I recently reapplied arctic silver to my processor and fan because I noticed idle temps were running high. After applying the silver and trying to boot, the system generally won't post and if it does, it will hang on the BIOS screen. The fans spin up, the HD's look like they power up as well. It seems like it's between the mobo and the processor. Any tips?

Thanks.

Sounds like you used too much AS5, or possibly didn't get the push-pins in properly. Or maybe got some foreign particle in the AS5.

You should have cleaned off the processor and heatsink using rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter. Then you would have applied a small amount of TIM to the center of the CPU, about the amount of a cooked grain of rice.

jefflee

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Proximon:
Too much AS5 could cause this problem? Interesting. Can you explain in more detail how to clean the processor and heat-block off with rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter?

jitpublisher:
Would memory really cause it to hang at the BIOS screen? It seems to consistently hang there and doesn't accept any inputs. I'll try it and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies

Since you seem to have gotten a POST done perhaps you are OK. However the fact that you haven't been properly instructed in applying TIM is a big concern still.

Here are the complete instructions direct from Arctic Silver:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_quad_wcap.pdf

There are variations to this method but following the instructions here will be a great place to start, especially with a stock cooler.

I recommend the coffee filter because it is lint free and common in most households.

Ouch. That's pretty extreme. Make sure your BIOS is actually setting the voltage to 2.2V.

Since the voltage is already so high, maybe try loosening the timings instead... If you run CPU-Z you'll have access to all the suggested settings in the SPD tab:

CPU-Z
Real Temp
HWMonitor

I have also included links to temp monitoring utilities. These tools are very tiny and require no real installation, so just grab them.