Any information on NVIDIA 300 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomhardcore

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
I couldn't find any other topics about the 300 series and I couldn't find much on the web either so I was wondering if anyone else had information on a possible release date/time period. I know it's gonna be before the year is over but I need to know before I upgrade from my 9800GTX+ to either a GTX 275 or possibly a 300 series GPU.

4745454b

Titan
Unless the 300 series is a lot better/different then the 200, I'd upgrade now. When we get a few 300 cards, they will all be high end, and cost a bunch. Nvidia lately hasn't done a good job of getting the newer cards down into the lower end. Grab a GTX275 now, and then upgrade again to a 300 card 12-15 months from now when/if they finally do ship out a midrange part.

4745454b

Titan
1GB. It won't have a memory bus that wide if its using GDDR5. You'll probably see the traditional 256bit bus come back. I also doubt you'll see 40nm. New core, new process, new memory, etc? To much could go wrong. You'll see two of the three, not all of them however.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Don't expect a quantum leap but expect more of the way Nvidia conducts business, re-branding, add a few more shaders, raise/lower GPU cores/memory speeds - it's all towards market segmentation and they want a piece of the action on every level. When the 300 series finally arrive, it'll be the Bugatti Veyron or the Ferrari Enzo of the GPU world BUT in 12 months it becomes a mid range card!

How much better will it be than the GTX 295? A realistic guess for me would be a maximum of 8 percent performance gain (10% is just wishful thinking).

Instead of market hype about the latest and greatest because it's now GDDR 4 or with more SPs, I'd rather see NVidia make all their entry level and mid range cards "cheap dual-GPUs built in SLI on one PCB" by using, for example two old G80 or G84 chips. They'd save huge on the R&D and still come out with very competive products.

From what I've seen, NVIDIA is keeping with tradition:

New GTX X80 = Old Dual-GPU

That being said, I'm expecting a card that will tame Crysis (the "Crysis Effect"), so lets see what NVIDIA puts out...

henx125

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Im pretty sure that all the 300's will be DX11 compatible, considering I heard that in PC Gamer Magazine they are releasing a DX11 compatible 300GT

Status
Not open for further replies.