Chaos Marine

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366)
EVGA GeForce GTX 295 1792MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
Asus Rampage II Extreme Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
Corsair HX 1000W ATX Modular SLI Compliant Power Supply
Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos Silent Full Tower Case - Black
OCZ Solid Series 60GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive
Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache x 2
OCZ Intel i7 6GB DDR3 PC3-10666 (3x2GB) Triple Channel x 2
Pioneer BDC-S02BK 5x BluRay-ROM/12x DVD±RW Serial ATA Dual Layer ReWriter(Black)
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU Cooler

This is a new build I'm going to be doing when Windows 7 is popped out and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or changes?

I know I'd be able to get it running on a Corsair 750W but down the line I'd rather get a second 295 down the line and have a PSU ready for that. I don't really have any plans for overclocking and I'm expecting the build to last me another two, possibly three years. Thanks for any replies and advice.

Chaos Marine

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I tried to edit my first post but the system wont let me for some reason, I wanted to add that I'll be taking the two Samsung T1 Spinpoints from my current computer.

Chaos Marine

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Thanks for the replies and I've changed the original post, hope that's better.

As for the 295, I'd rather keep that as I stated, I do plan on getting another down the road, maybe in about eight or nine months so I'll stick with the single 295 at the moment.

About the motherboard and processor though...

I won't lie, I know very little about overclocking and I really don't like messing with the motherboard settings in case I balls something up. I have read a review for the newly released EVGA Classified board and, unless I've mistakenly read it wrong, it has an automatic overclocking tool for idiots just like me where you set the appropriate speed and it configures everything else, all I'd need to do would provide adequate cooling.

Review

The frequency control menu is probably the place where you'll spend the most time. For an easy overclock hit the Dummy OC function. It will enable a 150 MHz QPI x 24 multiplier = 3600 MHz instantly. The BIOS will select voltages automatically. Handy really. Apply some proper cooling and pretty much any Core i7 including the cheapest i7 920 should do this frequency just fine.

Does this make sense?

If this is what I'm thinking it is, I would prefer to go for this board instead of the Asus one as the cooler I've pegged to use with it should do if the authors of the review were able to bring it 4GHz on air cooling. I'd be more than happy with getting 3.2GHz.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
you'd need a good cooler though and letting the core voltage be auto when it's top voltage output is 2.24v, I wouldn't, that would fry your cpu if it made a bad desicion.

Dunno about that description aswell since the i7 920's max multiplier is 21.

Edit: and again, do you really think 266mhz is worth doubling the money you put down?

Chaos Marine

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
To be honest, I had the 2.6GHz pegged but after reading some reviews pitting two 295s against a single 295, I thought I'd hold off on the second and just get a faster CPU.

Chaos Marine

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Wouldn't that generate a significantly greater volume of heat rather than a pair of 295s? The case I'm looking to get is huge and the important thing to me, is that it's near silent. The reviews for it are also quite good. I built a computer for a guy before Christmas using it as the case and the contrast was so great to my own case (A Thermaltake Armour) with almost half a dozen huge fans which was immensely loud.

The only affordable SSD's worth buying are the ones that use the Indilinx controller. I believe the OCZ Solid drives use the crappy JMicron controller which means they have very high latency. I would read these 2 reviews for a better understanding of what I'm talking about:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3535

The OCZ Vertex series use the Indilinx controller.

OCZ Vertex Series 30GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (OCZSSD2-1VTX30G)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-013-OC

or

OCZ Vertex Series 60GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (OCZSSD2-1VTX60G)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-014-OC

Chaos Marine

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Thanks for the info on the SSDs, I wasn't sure which ones to get so I selected one at random. The 30GB one should be okay for Windows 7?

I don't often say this, but if you want serious graphics performance and a quiet system, you'll do best with water cooling.

Setting up a decent water cooling system isn't simple and requires some research, but if you are interested there are links and a FAQ in our overclocking forum.

It's mostly agreed around here that the 940 isn't a good value. Almost all builds done are using the 920. 940 might make more sense in a processing intensive graphics workstation.

Chaos Marine

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
The computer I built for the guy was a 920, decent motherboard with about six GBs of ram and a 280. Was phenomenally quiet. I'd also rather not use water cooling as I'm not at all comfortable with the prospect of having water inside my machine. The RC 1000 has every fan covered with a dust filter that also doubles as a sound muffler. There's another case that Coolermaster have brought out that I also like the look of, it runs along the same vein as my current rig in that it's packed full of fans, the Coolermaster Sniper and it looks like it might be good, the only thing is, Id' rather a case that's quieter.

Incidentally, I won't actually be building this machine till mid or late June so there is no real rush on it. I jus hope that Windows 7 will be out by then.

Back again to the subject at hand, wouldn't the cooler I've earmarked provide enough cooling ability to even make a slim over clock? Again, I'd be more than happy with 3.2 GHz or even 2.93 GHz, if I ever do overclock it.

I think the GTX 295 is going to be a bit louder than a GTX 280, especially under load.

Your CPU cooler is a great choice and will work well.

If you would like to take a small gamble, this PSU will run quieter:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194039

It's very highly rated as to power quality, but Enermax tends to get bad marks in the area of durability. This is a new PSU for them and it's hoped they have resolved the fail-after-a-year-or-so problem.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=138
(I'm sure you can find it over there easily.)

Chaos Marine

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
That power supply does indeed look fantastic, the only problem with it is that the thing costs so much it's insane. Even converting the price to euros, I'd be paying almost a hundred euro including shipping fees which is a huge pity as the thing looked like a good purchase. Plus, Corsair units are usually quite reliable to begin with. If it was just going from a less renowned brand to Enermax, I'd go with it, but with both being so reputable, I'm not certain.

[Edit] I've also been looking for comparison reviews of Tri SLi 285 vs Quad 295s and found little in the way of actual reviews, anyone got any good links please?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Chaos Marine

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

I know that, I wasn't expecting to pay much more than, perhaps 250 euro at the most for a quality one.

Windows 7 is supposed it be out around this Summer.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Based on past experience, MS will announce pricing three months prior to launch. Based on MSDN and various other sites, earliest possible release will be October. MS is still saying 'late 2009 / early 2010 launch'. But, what do I know?

Also based on past experience, all beta licenses will expire PRIOR to actual launch, degrading various features if usage continues...

And yes, it looks like a summer release to me, but I live in AUS...