lmanlo

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I'm thinking of these 2 hard drives, doesn't matter the price. I just comparing these 2 hard drives.
The Western Digtital WD Elements 2TB External Hard Drive - Black (WDBAAU0020)

http://tinyurl.com/2d222w8

and the
Seagate - FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2TB External USB 2.0/3.0 Hard Drive - Black.

http://tinyurl.com/284fvfz

Which of these 2 are better.
I know that the Seagate has the goplex and I just want to make sure that both will last me a long time as my other hard drives.

Also do you recommend a 2TB. I have a 1.5TB WD and it's a year old and a 750GB Seagate that is around 3-4 years.

Thank You.

acer0169

Distinguished
I've never owned a seagate that's lasted more than a year before dying or getting corrupt data due to very heavy use. I now ONLY by western digital because I've never had a single one go wrong. My vote would be to get the WD.

acer0169

Distinguished
I'm sure many get along with Seagate okay, but they're normally only bought because they are cheaper than WD. The Western Digital Black have better performance, lower heat, lower noise - and in my case at least - last for longer.

We are talking about external drives. The performance of the WD Blacks is largely wasted in this application.

acer0169

Distinguished

Who said he's not using USB 3.0 or eSATA?

If the OP is only using USB 2.0 then yeah - the Black is wasted on it, and I would get a caviar Green instead.

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010

The Freeagent is USB 2.0. Lowest common denominator. :)
It does depend on the implementation though. I'll have a look at reviews.

lmanlo

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I might just get the Seagate as I'm guaranteed that I would get it as I might not want to stay up all night for the Target WD Elements on Black Friday.

Also I don't mind if one has USB 2.0 or 3.0. I'm fine with the speeds.

Thanks

Also if there are objections about Seagate Goplex let me know. As it's hard to say as mentioned above both have worked good so it's hard too choose when both brands have been good.