firecracker

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Hello,I have a simpledrvive model 96200 from Simple Tech. I cannot access it due to an "inpage error" after moving my system. . Microsoft indicates that this is probably due a mechanical problem with the drive. Is it possible to recover, or is the info lost?

firecracker

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it last night but was unsuccessful. When the computer boots up, it attempts to access the drive (the green read light comes on), but eventually times out. Even so, the dirve appears in the "My Computer" device list. When I start chkdsk, it tries again usuccessfully, terminates chkdsk and removes the device from the list. I no longer get the "inpage error" message though.

Do you have a link to your external HDD?

Control Panel/Administrative tools/computer management/disk management and check out the status, is it NTFS, and healthy?

If you're using an USB hub connect it directly to the PC's connectors, try both in the front and back. Try another usb cord. Try the HDD on some other machine.

firecracker

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010

I have tried it on all of my USB ports with and without the USB cable. I normally use my hub ports because the PC ports are not hi-speed. I get the same results. I also tried the Admin Tools diagnostics. It shows uip as a 55.89 G (100% free and unused) drive when it is actually 60 G. The Status inicator is "healthy" , but there is no file system listed. I have not been able to try it on another machine yet.

firecracker

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
I don't know if this took the first time, so I'm sending it again. If you have already received it I apologize.

still no joy. I think i can get to another machine this weekend. Thanks for hanging in. I appreciate your time and effort with this problem.

firecracker

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
After I tried my drive on another machine and it did not work, I brought it home and laid it on my desk. It sat there for a couple of days until I got your latest message. When I plugged it back in to try your suggestion, I was able to access it. It's not as responsive as before, but I can use it again. At least temporarily. Thanks for all your help.