Notepad Saving Files to Wrong Folders

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi,

I recently had a situation where Windows Explorer was missing folders
for some of my user accounts. It turned out that the
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Explorer\DocFolderPaths" key in the registry was missing values for
these user accounts. I added these accounts to the key and all
appeared to be ok until last night when I was logged in as one of the
users whose folder was initially missing from the key and saved a
Notepad file. Instead of being saved in the My Documents folder for
the login I was using, it was saved to the My Documents folder of
another login.

I tested saving documents created in Wordpad, Word, and MS Works
Spreadsheet. All files were saved in the correct My Documents folder.
It seems that only Notepad is saving to the wrong folder.

I ran "cmd /k set homepath" and the correct path was given. I also
ran "explorer /e,%userprofile%, and the correct folder was highlighted
in Windows Explorer.

I checked Notepad's properties. The "Start in" field's value is
%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% which seems to be correct based on this field's
value for other logins.

All other logins save Notepad files to the correct "My Documents"
folder.

Is there another setting, Registry key etc that I should check?

Any suggestions?

TIA

Amy
4 answers Last reply
More about notepad saving files wrong folders
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    it's not notepad; the common open/save dialog remembers the last-used
    folder, on a per-user basis. sounds like that may be the "problem".
    further investigation seems warrented...

    Thanks. Any suggestions on how to fix the problem? If I
    save a Word document, the file is saved in the right
    folder. If I then save a Notepad document, the file is
    saved in the wrong folder. If the common open/save dialog
    remembers the last-used folder, why is the Notepad
    document not saved in the right folder?

    TIA

    On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 06:57:28 -0700, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com
    wrote:

    > Thanks. Any suggestions on how to fix the problem? If I
    > save a Word document, the file is saved in the right
    > folder. If I then save a Notepad document, the file is
    > saved in the wrong folder. If the common open/save dialog
    > remembers the last-used folder, why is the Notepad
    > document not saved in the right folder?

    Office has its own dialogs. They are built off of the common dialogs but
    have features added. Notepad uses the standard universal dialog and by
    default it remembers last folder saved to. Convenient in most cases but not
    necesarily the location wanted.

    You can try to force to save in folder of your choosing by editing the
    "startin" box of the program's shortcut. Would need a shortcut for each
    user and train them to open the program using that shortcut. Double clicked
    text files that are then opened in Notepad, edited and resaved would not be
    covered by this change.

    Or you could simply click the My Documents icon in the sidebar before
    clicking save. Doing so will redirect the save to documents folder for the
    user that is currently logged on. Not perfect but not bad as it's a one
    click solution.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Hi Sharon,

    Thanks a million! Both methods worked.

    Amy

    wrote:

    > Thanks. Any suggestions on how to fix the problem? If I
    > save a Word document, the file is saved in the right
    > folder. If I then save a Notepad document, the file is
    > saved in the wrong folder. If the common open/save dialog
    > remembers the last-used folder, why is the Notepad
    > document not saved in the right folder?

    Office has its own dialogs. They are built off of the common dialogs but
    have features added. Notepad uses the standard universal dialog and by
    default it remembers last folder saved to. Convenient in most cases but not
    necesarily the location wanted.

    You can try to force to save in folder of your choosing by editing the
    "startin" box of the program's shortcut. Would need a shortcut for each
    user and train them to open the program using that shortcut. Double clicked
    text files that are then opened in Notepad, edited and resaved would not be
    covered by this change.

    Or you could simply click the My Documents icon in the sidebar before
    clicking save. Doing so will redirect the save to documents folder for the
    user that is currently logged on. Not perfect but not bad as it's a one
    click solution.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Configuration Notepad My Documents Microsoft User Accounts Windows XP