Sign in with
Your question

Memory leak?

Last response: in Windows 7
September 20, 2011 3:30:22 PM

I have windows 7 64 bit and also running a ssd. Just a few days ago I've started to have an issue where after my computer is running for a couple hours all processes continually increase the amount of memory they are using until I get an out of memory error. Here is a pic of it around 75%. I have 8 gigs of ram (kingston), so not sure what is causing this suddenly.

Any help would be great.

More about : memory leak

a c 219 $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
September 20, 2011 4:38:15 PM

Check the resource monitor instead of the task manager. The memory tab should show you which process is hogging the memory.
September 20, 2011 4:51:26 PM

You can see the Commit from each app on the task manager as well as the resource monitor. It just shows the data differently. There is no "one" process hogging up the memory. If you look at the image you'll see almost every app running is using 100mb+ of commit. So it's not one process, but all of the processes. Only thing I can think of is that perhaps it's a virus.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
September 20, 2011 5:26:24 PM

The problem is we (or at least I) cannot see any image.
September 20, 2011 6:07:20 PM

Did you check it with some antivirus?
September 20, 2011 6:08:02 PM

Yes, McAfee. It didn't find anything though.
a c 219 $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
September 20, 2011 6:10:26 PM

Thanks for fixing the image link. I'd start by running malwarebytes and super antispyware.
September 20, 2011 6:19:57 PM

Then check it again :) .
You have a lot of processes with almost exactly the same /and unusually high/ footprint in memory.
Use an antivirus from a CD or other protected media. Your virus obviously attacks the antivirus software.
September 20, 2011 6:20:06 PM

Ok, so I reinstalled windows considering i couldn't access my virus protection. With a formatted clean pc, i could go to avg and download the app. I then installed all the windows updates. Once I restarted my pc, once again i can no longer go to virus protection websites and the memory use is constantly going up again. My only assumption has to be it is something to do with the windows updates as i didn't install anything else. Any suggestions?

I'll try the two you just suggested and let you know the results.

Installed and used both of those. They both found a tracker trojan and both said they deleted it.... yet i still can't access virus protection sites. So yea..
a c 219 $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
September 20, 2011 6:32:12 PM

It's possible that you have a bios virus. Normally I don't trust The Register, but I have seen several web sites list this same news over the past week... that there is currently a bios virus in the wild.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/14/bios_rootkit_di...
September 20, 2011 7:05:46 PM

How do I flash my bios then, and where do i download the file at? Also from what i've read is that the new Mebromi virus that which that site refers to can't infect 64 bit windows which I'm currently running.

"There is some good news. The current incarnation of this malware can’t run if it isn’t given escalated privileges, so UAC should keep you safe if you use it. The Trojan also can’t infect computers running 64-bit operating systems, either. Finally, Award BIOS is the only target."
a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2011 7:58:59 PM

Hi

Bios infecting virus are very very rare. (Has anyone actually seen one ?)

but master boot record infecting virus and boot sector virus are still around.

Most AV programs can not clean them while running under Windows

Booting from a Win PE then running Tools to re build MBR usually works

I used MBR Wizard from Firesage Solutions on a MBR virus recently
Norton Detected it but could not clean it.

(It was not my PC but a friend from work her children are supposed to use restricted user accounts but probably know the parents login password)

regards
Mike Barnes
a c 219 $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
September 20, 2011 8:04:34 PM

If it's an MBR virus, I'd suspect that deleting all partitionons on the drive and recreating them will get rid of it. Of course this would mean doing a reinstall of the OS.
September 20, 2011 8:22:45 PM

Posting from my cell phone. Reinstalled and formatted my drives and flashed my bios t a new version. Stopping at best buy to get a hard copy of a good virus protection. I'll post the results after. Then I'll try the mbr suggested fix. I haven't bought an antivirus in 8 years now. Really frustrated that I have to. Thx for all the help so far
a b $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
September 20, 2011 8:48:26 PM

If you have Windows7, all you need is Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes.

Both are free!
September 20, 2011 9:03:43 PM

Had both, didn't help. Bestt buy wanted 200 bucks to look at it. Laptops 2 years old, only worth about 800.
a b $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
September 20, 2011 11:01:04 PM

I'm online 12hrs a day and never gotten a virus or malware that got past MSE and Malwarebytes.
September 20, 2011 11:43:55 PM

I understand, I haven't gotten a virus in 8 years of working with computers. This is the first time I've gotten something other than just adware. Still unsure of what could have caused it, however for an update, after I flashed my bios and wiped my computer again it seems like it may be gone. Redownloading windows updates now and a few programs I use like Chrome and such.
September 21, 2011 12:13:14 AM

I've seen this quite a few times. You do have a virus of some kind and should try to install MSE, Malwarebytes & Superantispyware. You may run into an issue installing or updating as this virus will most likely block these programs from running. McAfee is just about as bad as the virus on your computer nad can be difficult to remove. The quickest easiest solution will be to backup your personal data carefully ( I use an external hard drive on customer pc's) and completely reformat your system and re-install the OS. One other tip would be to Always show all icons and notifications in the taskbar. Always keep Windows up to date along with Microsoft Security Essentials which will update through Windows Update. Firefox is not as good as it once was. I recommend using Chrome whenever possible.
September 21, 2011 2:59:31 AM

To give an update, i flashed my bios to a new version and did a clean install of windows... again. My computer "seems" to be clean now. However, I've run into another problem. 3 out of 5 of my friends seem to have gotten the same virus. I'm afraid I'll spend all day tomorrow doing the same for their pc's, but what really has me worried is somehow us getting it again. I still have no idea what it could have been. We all were playing dead island and minecraft, but two of us didn't get it so not sure if that was it. One thing we have discovered is that we were playing over Tunggle and had a random person come into our game, could it be possible that the random person when connected over the quasi lan infected us?
a c 219 $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
September 21, 2011 11:43:27 AM

geekapproved said:
I'm online 12hrs a day and never gotten a virus or malware that got past MSE and Malwarebytes.

We use MSE on all our computers at work, except mine. I prefer avast. Two viruses slipped through MSE this year. I still recommend multiple scanners. Luckily we keep backup images of all our machines so reinstalling the OS was quick.
September 21, 2011 1:42:35 PM

The virus you had is a masterpiece :) . I would like to see what it is. And don't think the pathetic trojan antivirus programs revealed is it, because it's not. I am not surprised at all for the trojan though, as you didn't update your antivirus for 8 years. Man, what are you thinking, that you are an immortal? :) 
This thing is very large for first /for a virus/, and clever, probably very complex and consisting of several parts. It attacks the boot record and your files, it manages to crack some of the antivirus programs and to stay undetected from the others while actually swarming all your system. The only flaw in the design IMHO is that it creates too many copies, revealing it's existence. If it would create just a few you probably wouldn't find it any time soon.
a b $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
September 21, 2011 3:51:16 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
We use MSE on all our computers at work, except mine. I prefer avast. Two viruses slipped through MSE this year. I still recommend multiple scanners. Luckily we keep backup images of all our machines so reinstalling the OS was quick.

That's why I use Malwarebytes as a backup to MSE.

Yes, if you do regular backups, there's no need to worry about such issues.
a b $ Windows 7
September 21, 2011 4:10:24 PM

geekapproved said:
That's why I use Malwarebytes as a backup to MSE.

Yes, if you do regular backups, there's no need to worry about such issues.

most people go for mse. paranoid people like me go for a permitions bassed program e.g. comodo

the only people that usually get viruses are people going on sites they shouldnt

best thing to do with that pc, use something like ubcd4win

boot of the boot cd the program creates then scan the computer (you can run malwarebytes and many other antivirus programs off it)

i dont usually bother with this but thats just cause i regually clone my c drive and if i get any i just reflash disk image to before i had the problem.

games have been moved to another hdd and saves as well so thats safe
September 21, 2011 4:13:43 PM

pepe2907 said:
The virus you had is a masterpiece :) . I would like to see what it is. And don't think the pathetic trojan antivirus programs revealed is it, because it's not. I am not surprised at all for the trojan though, as you didn't update your antivirus for 8 years. Man, what you are thinking, that you are an immortal? :) 
This thing is very large for first /for a virus/, and clever, probably very complex and consisting of several parts. It attacks the boot record and your files, it manages to crack some of the antivirus programs and to stay undetected from the others while actually swarming all your system. The only flaw in the design IMHO is that it creates too many copies, revealing it's existence. If it would create just a few you probably wouldn't find it any time soon.

If it didn't cause my 8 gigs of memory to give me the "out of memory" error and shut down my computer you are right, I probably wouldn't have noticed it. Also, I didn't have antivirus because I was very confident in myself to be able to avoid getting virus's and that way save money on buy the software. On top of that when installing games and using network stuff over lan my friends and I always run into hitches connecting to eachother because of the firewalls and antivirus stuff, so to bypass that headache I just turned all that stuff off on my pc. Normally makes my life a lot easier connecting to them for obvious reasons yet they kept their stuff on. Which is why even with this horrible virus I got I'm not completely sold on anti-virus, just because the one with Trend-Micro still got it. That's not to say I don't currently have MSE installed now, as well as malewarebytes, as well as AVG (just until I decide if I should fork over the 60 bucks for pay virus protection).

So that leaves the question, which virus protection would you suggest then, because as I said my friends had Trend Micro and AVG, and they still got it.

P.S. I hope it's ok if i respond to this thread later today when I start working on their laptops for them if I run into any questions or hitches.
September 21, 2011 4:17:59 PM

Vipre is a really good Antivirus as well and I believe it can clean MBR virus's, but don't quote me on that.
September 21, 2011 11:26:30 PM

Update!!!! I think i found the name of the virus or at least part of it. I transferred comodo to my friends computer via flash drive. After installing comodo i put the flashdrive back into my pc (now running mse and avg and anti). Immediately my computer was infected with Dorkbot!ink. My question is could this be what had affected my computer or is this just one of the virus's the original one could have downloaded in addition to itself.

As i'm running mse on my friends computer it has also now found CeeInject.gen!dz. It also found uqxzzsw.exe but couldn't tell if it was malicious or not. The uqxzzsw.exe has written to the MBR as well, think i found the big bad wolf.

In addition it has now also found Obfuscator.xz and Vexral.A. Yea... theres a lot it seems.

Update... I attempted to install the update program for asus laptops to flash the bios... as it was installing the update program, not the bios, screen turned blue and the computer formatted his hard drive. Installing windows 7 now. Have a feeling the virus might actually be on the bios as it wiped the computer as i was trying to install the program to update the bios though.
!