Sign in with
Your question

CCleaner, Disk Cleanup, and System Image Recovery with SSDs

Last response: in Storage
November 16, 2010 3:42:13 PM

I have a question about computing habits with SSDs: With my old hard drive, I would do a clean install of Windows 7. Once all my core programs and files were installed and all my settings were tweaked and everything was optimized to my liking, I would perform a full system image backup. After that point, I would mess around on my computer, install experimental programs, download files, etc. Then, eventually, I would restore my system image to get back to a "clean" state and start over again. Sometimes, I would restore that system image as much as once a month.

My question is, now that I've converted over to a 160GB Intel X-25M SSD, can I still perform a system image recovery as often? I know SSDs have limited read/writes, but is all the hoopla over limiting your read/writes overblown? I can't see myself keeping this SSD longer than 5 years, but is doing a system restore going to kill it much faster, even if I only do a restore, say, 12 times a year?

Along the same lines, how often can I run CCleaner or Windows' built-in disk cleanup feature? I'd like to be able to run one or the other at least once a day. (By the way, I know to only use CCleaner's "normal" file deletion, not the "secure" file deletion on an SSD.)
a b G Storage
November 16, 2010 11:38:59 PM

I don't see an issue. SSDs will not last forever and neither will HDDs. The difference is the SSD manufacturers can put numbers to their expected demise.

Abuse it as you will. It will out last your current system and you will upgrade before it dies (imho).
!