Need Quick Mobo Advice for new comp build - buying tonight!

burwang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Guys,

I am building a new game rig and am gonna go with the Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition for CPU and the Radeon 5870 for my GPU - but I am a bit lost as to what I will need for a mobo. If I should be overclocking the CPU and/or the GPU I need a board that is user friendly in this regard cause it will be my first oc. If I should be considering running another GPU later can u recommend a board that would allow me to expand? Also budgeting is important so I want good value for the dollar but nothing cheap, looking at about the 1100-1200 range for the build overall (looks like boards run from 100-200 but dunno what I need really). A few options with explanation of benefits would be a great help, thanks guys really appreciate it. ** And a quick recoomendation for 6GB of RAM would help as well! Thanks!

:pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
only the i7 920+ has triple channel memory

everything else is dual channel memory so you need to add chips 2 at a time

2x2gb= 4gb 4x2gb = 8gb

I priced out a top of the line i920 system 2 weeks ago and budgeted 300$ for a video card and the total was about 1150.

I didnt splurge on pricey stuff like a SSD though as I'm waiting on those.

I'm sure you can price out a heck of a system for 1000$-1200 with a nice monitor

I usually goto www.newegg.com and start there