changing account name completely

I'm running XP on my laptop -- no network connections,
etc. I'm "very alone." I went into "User Accounts," and
my "Computer administrator" name was "Greg new," and I
don't like this because of the space in there. So I
changed the name to "laptop".

Now, when I sign in, I do have to type laptop and my new
password. That's fine! However, if I click "Start," one
of the options it "Log Off Greg new".

Furthermore, I did a "System information" diagnostic, and
my "User Name" is DELL_[thatnumber]\Greg new

Can you tell me how to completely change my account name
and password? Thank you.
2 answers Last reply
More about changing account completely

    Greg;
    The easiest way is to create an account with the name you want then
    copy the data from old to new account:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

    Then when you are sure new account is OK, delete the old account.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Greg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running XP on my laptop -- no network connections,
    > etc. I'm "very alone." I went into "User Accounts," and
    > my "Computer administrator" name was "Greg new," and I
    > don't like this because of the space in there. So I
    > changed the name to "laptop".
    >
    > Now, when I sign in, I do have to type laptop and my new
    > password. That's fine! However, if I click "Start," one
    > of the options it "Log Off Greg new".
    >
    > Furthermore, I did a "System information" diagnostic, and
    > my "User Name" is DELL_[thatnumber]\Greg new
    >
    > Can you tell me how to completely change my account name
    > and password? Thank you.

    Type
    control userpasswords2

    The idiots interface interprets for the real XP. You type laptop and it translates to greg new and sends that to XP.

    The idiots name is the Display Name in real XP.
    http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofwhimsy/index.html
    "Greg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14bb501c44504$9f04e3a0$a101280a@phx.gbl...
    > I'm running XP on my laptop -- no network connections,
    > etc. I'm "very alone." I went into "User Accounts," and
    > my "Computer administrator" name was "Greg new," and I
    > don't like this because of the space in there. So I
    > changed the name to "laptop".
    >
    > Now, when I sign in, I do have to type laptop and my new
    > password. That's fine! However, if I click "Start," one
    > of the options it "Log Off Greg new".
    >
    > Furthermore, I did a "System information" diagnostic, and
    > my "User Name" is DELL_[thatnumber]\Greg new
    >
    > Can you tell me how to completely change my account name
    > and password? Thank you.

Configuration Laptops Windows XP