Sign in with
Your question

BSOD - Causing me pain......

Last response: in Motherboards
September 30, 2009 9:05:52 AM

Hi All,

Really hope someone can help me here.... I’ve recently been experiencing bad PC stability for the last 4 weeks, i keep getting random BSOD’s and they are always a different stop code! E.g.

Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 b8338d70, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf8298f7, parameter3 a6b7c258, parameter4 00000000.

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 805226f8.

Error code 10000050, parameter1 ffffff8b, parameter2 00000001, parameter3 bf80cb4a, parameter4 00000000.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x10000050 (0xffffff8b, 0x00000001, 0xbf80cb4a, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini093009-01.dmp.

I firstly thought it could be a virus or a bad driver but now I’m not so sure... I’ll go over what I have done to it so far!

I decided first on an O/s rebuild as mine was cluttered and had been running for some time so I wiped the drive clean and reinstalled XP SP3. Using latest driver from Asus!

It ran ok for a while.... a day or so but didn’t fix it so I decided to test all HDD’s in my system as I’m running a raid 0 O/S with 2 raptor 10,000 RPM drives, I deleted the raid and changed them back into ATA drives to test, both came back fine....

Then tested the memory (all 4GB – Corsair CM2X2048-8500C5D Dimms) separately and in different slots using memtest for 12 hours overnight and there were no memory errors!

I also left my machine on another night testing the processor illetrations and again all passed with no issues. Processor is a Q6800 (2.8 quad core) it’s running at about 46 degrees c!

About a week ago I decided to replace the 2 raptors for a new WD 500Gb drive as I wanted to rule them and the raid controller out and I had spare drive.....The system seemed to run much better and didn’t crash for about a week which was nice, however I’m back to square one now......

I have the latest BIOS firmware and have checked that my memory is QVL compatible with the board!

I can now only think it’s a doggy MB controller? Or RAM that looks fine but isnt!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks

Dan

More about : bsod causing pain

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 435 V Motherboard
September 30, 2009 10:44:18 AM

You can try higher memory timings or bump up the ram voltage by .05 volts at a time, if your board permits it. Higher numerical settings result in slightly slower performance, but may eliminate your bluescreens.
September 30, 2009 10:47:16 AM

Hi

Thanks for the reply, so leave both 2Gb sticks in and bump up the voltage by .05 on the ram and see if its any more reliable? Its a Asus P5QC Pro board so im fairly sure you can... I think if i leave it on for ages it gets worse?

Thanks
Related resources
September 30, 2009 10:54:40 PM

Hi,

The last time i upgraded it was about 6 months ago no hardware has been added since.... Not installed any programs i can think of... i have rebuilt it this week anyway so cant see software being the issue...

I think the RAM could be the issue i have checked in the bios as suggested above and its all set to defaut, if i select manual i get a huge page with about 30 different settings i can find one saying DIMM voltage (or something close) but it wants a figure between 1.80 and 3.08 any suggestions what i should be entering and if this is the correct thing to be changing? Im no o/c expert!

Thanks
September 30, 2009 10:55:16 PM

Hi,

The last time i upgraded it was about 6 months ago no hardware has been added since.... Not installed any programs i can think of... i have rebuilt it this week anyway so cant see software being the issue...

I think the RAM could be the issue i have checked in the bios as suggested above and its all set to defaut, if i select manual i get a huge page with about 30 different settings i can find one saying DIMM voltage (or something close) but it wants a figure between 1.80 and 3.08 any suggestions what i should be entering and if this is the correct thing to be changing? Im no o/c expert!

Thanks

Quote:
So the computer ran fine before this or its a new build??

Have you installed any new hardware or programs about the time the problems started?

Are you sure you have the dimm voltage set correctly in the bios?

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 435 V Motherboard
September 30, 2009 11:12:24 PM

For regular ddr2 memory, 1.95 should be the max for now, unless your memory specs are higher. Some run at 2.1, but usually it's pc8500 or higher.
October 1, 2009 8:14:06 AM

Thanks for the replys guys, Ive got Corsair Dominator CM2X2048-8500C5D which runs at 1066MHz with a clock cycle of 5-5-5-15.

See Attached pictures of my BIOS config options.

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

What i was refering to was in picture 3 labeled "DRAM Voltage" however you also have "NB voltage" and "SB voltage"?

Im sorry to be a pain but i dont want to do anything wrong as i cant afford to replace it! Could one of you guys give me idiot proof instructions!

Thanks

o1die said:
For regular ddr2 memory, 1.95 should be the max for now, unless your memory specs are higher. Some run at 2.1, but usually it's pc8500 or higher.

October 1, 2009 8:22:15 AM

Give us your comp specs,then we can help you better.

Dahak
October 1, 2009 9:31:35 AM

Hi

I thought I did...... Ok not at my PC..... I got a

asus p5qc motherboard
intel Q8600 quad processor
4 gb of corsair ram (2x 2gb sticks)
2 10,000 wd raptor o/s drives in raid 0
2x 500gb wd storage drives
1x 650 watt hyper type r psu
256mb geforce graphics card

I hope that's enough depth... If not I'll have to make a list when I'm home!

Thanks

Dahak said:

Dahak

Dahak said:

Dahak

October 1, 2009 1:17:52 PM

Yes, DRAM Voltage is the one you want to change.

Corsair's site says it needs to run at 2.1v, so set it to that and see if it helps.

Good luck!
October 1, 2009 1:38:29 PM

Hi, thanks jedimasterber..... ill try this when im home and report back!

Cheers

Dan

jedimasterben said:
Yes, DRAM Voltage is the one you want to change.

Corsair's site says it needs to run at 2.1v, so set it to that and see if it helps.

Good luck!

October 1, 2009 3:41:51 PM

Hi zipzoo, I didn't ignore your post at all I merely wanted more advice as to what it should be set to... Now I know the ram manafactures web site tells you I'll look there first!

Thanks everyone for your assistance, it's all appreciated il let you know how it goes as I'm at home all day tomorrow!

Cheers Guys!

Quote:
I told him in my first post to make sure he has the ram voltage correct.

He ignored my question, now he's thanking you jedi for your suggestion. lol

October 1, 2009 10:44:39 PM

Hi All,

Got some weird activities tonight, ill try and go through them for you...........!

I changed the voltage as suggested above from auto to 2.1V and added the other 2GB stick of memory i had taken previously as i believe it runs better with only 2GB as apposed to 4GB..... It booted first time and everything seemed to be working fine, however i have had some software issues with IE 8 and Windows live Mail not working since i cloned the HDD about 5 days ago from the raid to another temp HDD whilst eliminating hardware! So I was wondering if these software issues could be some spyware stopping these apps from working as WLM would open and work as long as i dont let it do a send and recieve, if it did it would shutdown straight away! And IE8 Wouldnt let me search using google but if i manually type in the address it works? Fire Fox works fine.......! Strange (ive seen this before) However only having the O/S installed for a week wasnt sure if i could have caught any.... So i downloaded Malware Bytes and SB search and destroy to have a quick check...... i went out leaving it scanning and came back to find it had rebooted (later realised it had crashed) and it wouldnt boot! I was missing a windows file from the system32 folder! I thought this was a bit weird so kept trying to reboot it and after 5 mins gave up and checked the xp cd in for a repair.... I got as far as the "r" prompt to repair the xp install and then got a BSOD! So i switched off and removed the 2GB RAM module and booted it up again!

Suprise suprise it booted XP! But my VGA driver is screwed?

Can anyone work out what fully happend or could it be a mix of things?

Quote:
There's a sticker on the ram that will tell you the proper voltage.

October 2, 2009 9:38:20 AM

I think ive worked out what happended.......

The system must have crashed again whilst i was out! The scans must have been in operation at the time causing a registry error on the system folder! Strange how it resolved itself after removing the ram tho?

So the issue isnt resolved! If i add the extra 2GB of ram it just isnt stable.... To resolve the other issue with my graphics card i just reverted back to the backup drive i had tried a reinstall of the driver which didnt resolve it!

So any ideas then how to resolve this 2GB issue now the RAM is running at 2.1V?

Thanks
October 2, 2009 10:55:39 AM

Hi Zipzoom,

Thanks for bearing with me on this, I see where your coming from but cant see that i need another fresh install as its only a week old... I havent done much on it in the week except install a few apps! There is deffinalty an issue with the RAM as it seems to work much better with only one stick in.... with two its unuseable and wont even install win XP in the early stages!

I will have a go at a fresh install on a seperate HDD but im 100% sure its more than that!

Thanks

Quote:
I think your problems are corrupted windows or a bad virus and your answer is to format your hdd and do a fresh windows install.

Then install all your windows updates
chipset drivers
video drivers
anti-virus and updates

October 3, 2009 2:18:22 AM

try setting the memory for 800mhz.

with those timing and 2.0 , or 2.1 volts

is that memory certified for 5-5-5-15 at ddr2-800 or at ddr2-1066

I'm pretty sure anything over 800 is an "overclock" not a standard setting.

you also try load optimized defaults.
!