Q6600 overclock shows in BIOS but not on CPU-Z

Cookie Monstrosity

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
My Q6600 should be overclocked to 2.8GHz looking at my BIOS but whenever I open CPU-Z or Coretemp in Windows 7, my Q6600 is set at a default 2.4GHz with the default voltage as well. I've tried overclocking in the past and I was able to get a 2.8 GHz overclock to show. I don't know why this overclock doesn't work anymore. I have EIST and C1E disabled but the problem is that the FSB and the voltage are still the same. Can anybody help me?

Solution
The experience you are having is similar to what happens when the computer boots, and is unable to achieve the OC you have in the settings, and then defaults to the original specs. If I were you, I would watch the BIOS screen very carefully and see if there is some kind of message (maybe its small, one line of text) that says something like SAFE MODE, or something equivalent.

$.02

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Without knowing anything more about your system than you have a Q6600, or what exactly it is you have done, it is difficult to offer any good advice.

In other words, we need more info.

List your system specs and what exactly it is you have done in order to overclock.

Cookie Monstrosity

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

I went into the M.I.T and changed the FSB to 312. I put the voltage at 1.4V just to make sure it doesn't go unstable. The SPD is at a 2.50 multiplier at a ratio of 800:780. The DDR2 ram and the G(MCH) have +0.1v too.

My specs are:
Intel Q6600
GTX 460
4GB DDR2 800 ram
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 mobo

festerovic

Distinguished
The experience you are having is similar to what happens when the computer boots, and is unable to achieve the OC you have in the settings, and then defaults to the original specs. If I were you, I would watch the BIOS screen very carefully and see if there is some kind of message (maybe its small, one line of text) that says something like SAFE MODE, or something equivalent.

$.02

Solution
Core2 Overclocking Guide - generic guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-overclocking-guide

Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.html
It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio.

Now you can start pushing the FSB up.