Athlon II and AMD 740G?

fun500

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
I have a BIOSTAR A740G M2+ motherboard, with 2 sticks of DDR2 800Mhz RAM, and a Athlon 64 x2 5000 in it. An upgrade to an Athlon II looks good, but I'm not sure if my motherboard will work with it, its not in the list of supported processors on Biostar's site, but AM3 CPUs work in AM2+ boards, right?

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
They do only when there is a supporting BIOS.
Anyway, I think an upgreade to the Athlon II won't be worth it, even if it is somewhat faster, it wouldn't be much of an improvement. I'd go for the Phenom II X3 720 at least.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
The Athlon II is pretty new. But biostar has a link and it's on there re cpu support - but not your board.

I has to use search to find your mobo. It found it. shows a cpu support list with nothing re Ph II's or Athlon II's.

In specs for that mobo, it calls the socket an AM2/AM2+ - I DON'T KNOW what that means - I never heard of such a socket. It shows tdp as 95w which is adequate for the Athlon II.

I would contact biostar directly and find out what socket you really have. This mobo is a freak. It does not show under list of either am2's or am2+.

what is this thing - and how did you find it in the first place. I get the impression it might be discontinued; but I did not see that directly indicated either. Really strange, it apparently supports a Phenom I.

TOTALLY AMAZING, BATMAN.

go yell at biostar. could be a waste of time. ambiguous specs? whew - avoid.
but maybe they will give you something - don't hold your breath.

this breaks all the rules if it's an AM2+
I have never seen anything like this before.

It's almost like it fits both categories and yet doesn't fit either = they are probably hoping it will just go away. I hope it was cheap. It's a mystery, or I need to really educated to understand this thing. This reminds me of the old days with pcchips mobos - I hear they bought ECS. scary.

get a real mobo. read the specs first. learn what the specs mean. i am sorry but I think you got hosed here.

I got hosed once by abitch - I spread the word on them - they went out of business a year ago.

this is total bs. and I don't mean bio star.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Athlon II is AM3.

AFAIK all am3's work with am2+. That's the deal. That's the amazing upgrade path. That's what AMD is offering it's existing customers with am2+ systems, AND some am2 systems - if a bios is available.

therefore your mobo described as an am2/am2+ is not an am2+ and/or it does not really exist - cos such a socket doesn't exist = what am i missing, and I don't even want to know.

REVIEW ON ATHLON II

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/phenom-athlon-ii-x2.html

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

Fascinating.

I really think you should contact biostar. It's really up to the mobo maker to support their boards.

If biostar wants to be the exception to the rule, that's a very bad business position.

Frankly, I have not, before this, heard of any manufacturer not offering support for AM3 on AM2+ MOBOS. The Phenom II's are a drop in solution; bios update required so that the bios can recognize the previously unknown cpu. That's the whole story AFAIK. but I am willing to be educated. For the moment, this is undermining by belief system - it's simply contrary to everything. Perhaps I missed it - perhaps not every board can support AM3.

This is a first. And like I said before, the specs list for that mobo calls the socket an "AM2/AM2+". I KNOW that specs are subject to change - did they make more than one version perhaps?

I still think you need contact biostar directly. Perhaps they do not have a bios YET ????

I bet they pushed the limits of AM2. AM2+ used dual power planes; and that kills the chances on SOME AM2 MOBOS.

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I've run out of luck with my Asus M3A too!
I bought it cause it claimed to support "Phenom FX" and the latest quads, but then I got to know it supported 95w chips only. Then, when the Phenom IIs were launched, the mobo did not get support for the 95w versions, nor the 65w versions, not even the Athlon II...
Shame on Asus...
I know some people have successfully installed PII on this mobo, and even oveclocked them, but it's a pity there's not a simple BIOS update available to make AM3 support possible, even though the board is fully compatible.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
also in such cases, a 125w cpu could be underclocked and undervolted; and some people actually do that even when not needed - just to save power; and similarly, there are undervolters, who run same clockspeed but reduce volts as much as possible.

what's really sad is that there are very soon 95w quad Phenom II's coming.

but in behind all this is the fact that people want cheap mobos, and so the specs get compromised
but people buy these cheap mobos and then oclox them until they break

that creates an rma issue - and oclox is not warranteed - and so we have unhappy customers bad mouthing mobo makers - it becomes an out of control situation

perhaps they don't make a bios cos they don't want the bad press about blow ups; and maybe it's easier or better business to have a few disgruntled people.

but what I don't like is specifications lists that are seriously missing important details
If I see that, I turn the page and move on.

I got burned by a mobo maker once - never again - if I see omissions in spec lists, I am done before it starts.

I am a little disappointed in biostar cos they are fairly cheap mobos but biostar is an old company. they are a well known name and have some fans. this is upsetting cos I can no longer recommend them over some other cheap mobo companies.

A lot of trouble like this happened with some early 780G chipset mobos - but they mostly worked ok; it wasn't so bad. But they did start reinforcing them a lot.

A lot of the difference between a good and bad mobo is in the PWM/mosfet section which is about power handling, multi phase and stuff like that. This is where Asus and Gigabyte tend to be strong for the most part. Also MSI. But these specs are not always easy to find either.

And again, the biggest compromise is in the cheaper mobos, the low end models. They use the cheap components, and they might be the first ones to break. And perhaps they get away with it cos the people that buy them do not know what went wrong, and just let it go. It's hard to diagnose a mobo that quit. But people that know are more discerning and look for the marks of quality. Compromise is ok if you understand what's being compromised.

But the worst is buying on price only, and putting the fat cpu and video in the skinny mobo. and then cheap out on the psu and cooling. and then oclox it. this is a recipe for dead mobo. small wonder some low end boards have a bios that will not allow certain access to some settings re oclox. it's a war zone.

read the specs. and then when you decide you are ready to buy, read the specs for the first time. again. what you see in specs is what you get. you don't get what is not there - cos all those things are selling points, the features and how good they are. compare to the most expensive mobo, and try to see how the price varies. and then research all that to see how important it is. it's a lotta work to make a good choice and get a good deal too.

I like Gigas MA790XT-UD4P. I think it resembles the FX versions; seems to have good power handling. the compromise is the dual PCIe2 slots. one is x16. and that's all I need. in crossfire, they both run at x8x8. which I think is ok too. and if I ever go xfire, it won't be w 4870's. I am debating 4830 or 4850. by the time I decide, they will all be gone. the 4850 is on sale cheap. but that uses more power than the 4830. more power is more heat is more stress on the mobo. is it that serious - maybe not - the 4850 is tempting to me. but so is 4830 in xfire. anyway, that's my world, and I won't be buying for a few months anyway - which means it will all change as the 5800's roll out in the fall. along with the new chipsets. and more cpu's, including a quad Athlon II. it's endless endlessly.

Sorry but it looks like you're board won't have anything to do with anything better than a 9650. They don't even support the Windsor 89W Athlon 6000 or the Brisbane version. You could try and e-mail them and perhaps if enough people bug them for support they will update the BIOS to support some newer CPUs.

For now the only thing you can do is overclock your CPU. You should be able to overclock it to around 3.0GHz even if it's the earlier version. Just make sure you have some decent case ventilation if you're using the stock cooler.

fun500

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
I build a lot of computers, and use newegg to buy parts, I don't really see any motherboards that say they support the Athlon II, how do I tell if one does? Do I have to hunt through the manufacturer's site?

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008

Athlon II is an AM3 socket. Any native AM3 motherboard will support it.

ARCHER0915

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Perhaps I missed it in the reading but AM2\AM2+ is an AM2 board but being that AM2+ is backward compatible they put it in the description/on the box so that the uninformed get that way. Now we are all informed. :sol:

Archer