le13enforce

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
What is the best GPU for rendering CG textures? Got a friend who'll start learning Maya this sem, and wanted to gift him a good video card for that. He currently uses an E7650 with an Asus P5Q and 2GB of RAM. Current card is an 8800 GT.

Well have you heard about soft modding the graphics card ? Basically the Desktop and the Workstation cards have the same hardware...So by soft modding you could convert a desktop card into a workstation card(If done right)...
But if you dont want that hassle, then check the Quadro FX580...it is around $190 and is a very good workstation card and the Quadro series graphics card have good compatibility with Maya...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133273

Hmm...if it is a gift, then soft mod is out of question...
And like you said he can go either with the 4870/ GTX280/ Quadro FX580
But I am inclined towards the FX580 for obvious reasons...

EDIT: Just saw the edit of wusy...I feel if that soft mod should be easy and if it works good, then he could get the 4870 as he would get a good gaming card as well as when soft modded, a powerful workstation card...

3dguyx

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
being a professional CG animator I would be inclined to a quadro anything if you can get an older one or a brand new one for cheap but......$$$$$$

le13enforce

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Hmmm... interesting options guys! That 4870 soft mod seems especially appealing! Now I'm wondering whether to gift the 4870 and point out the soft mod instructions to my friend, or just avoid any potential trouble and go with the Quadro? I think I'll ask my friend and see what he says, will keep you updated.

3dguyx

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
seems the 4870 SOFT mod is unstable on some cards, no free lunches and if you want serious triangle rendering in open GL or even direct X consider a Quadro but with things like Degradation Override and in general efficient use of textures and proxy you never need to see it all on the screen at one time.

As most of the animation houses I have worked for their equipment is good but yester-year because its more cost efficient to go that way and have teh animator work through a heavy rig/scene.