P4 heatsink on a core 2 duo?

mustacheman8

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I'm switching motherboards for a computer build. The old motherboard used a heatsink which screwed into the motherboard (mobo had specialized threaded holes). I was devastated to find out that the heatsink was set up this way, as it won't work with the new mobo. All I have is a stock P4 heat sink, but I'm not sure if it will keep it cool...

Can someone advise me as what to do? I'll order a new heatsink/fan, but is this P4 heatsink good enough to use as a temporary replacement? I really want this machine up and running asap...

What has me worried is the shape of the P4's heatsink contact plate. It is circular rather than squarish. I'm not sure if it will absorb all the heat necessary to cool my E6420....

mustacheman8

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
anyone know? i really need help...basically all i need to know is....

Willl a Pentium 4 socket 775 stock heat sink be able to cool an E6420 core 2 duo @ 2.13 ghz?

Aoster87

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Yes it will be able to cool it fine, since the stock C2D / C2Q is the same as the LGA P4. I suggest you buy an ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro, which runs for $32 on newegg.

I currently run that on my C2Q Q6600 and I see a ~10C average reduction in temperature over the stock LGA heatsink/fan.

I hope that answers your question.

EDIT: Be sure to have some decent thermal grease, such as Artic Silver.