Watercooling/overclocking reference cards easier than factory oc card?

guzami77

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Im trying to decide what 580 to buy knowing I may add a waterblock in the future? Is it typcially better to get a card with factory clock/settings? Or can I go with the EVGA black ops, Zotac AMP!, or MSI lightning when it is released? and add a waterblock to those

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I've had an EVGA card die and I told them I had it watercooled (not the cause of it dying) and they didn't care...I put the stock cooler back on, shipped it back, and got a replacement.

MAKE SURE YOU REGISTER YOUR EGVA STUFF WHEN YOU GET IT...If you don't, they won't RMA anything.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

I think all waterblocks are for ref. cards and most of the cards mention here are ref.cards
universal blocks won't provide cooling for memory witch comes with extra$ for heatsinks ,they are the most restrictive blocks, ugly :lol:

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

you are fine it's a reference card (black PCB)

The thing about factory overclocked cards that they are "supposedly" guaranteed to run at that speed. When ya do it yaself, if it don't get there, you have no recourse.

With EVGA however, I can tell you emphatically they they do NOT honor their warranty in this regard. They keep sending my son RMA's, but none of the cards they've sent has been able to run at more than 10% of the spread between the reference clock and so called guaranteed factory overclock.