My computer powers on, but nothing happens

peonjohn

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
My computer automatically turns on as soon as power is connected to it(I don't have to hit the power button so I can't figure that out). The fans turn on, the lights come on, and I hear some sounds from the hard drives. After this, nothing happens. There's no series of beeps, nothing boots.

I figured it to either be the motherboard or the processor. Cpu was cheaper so I replaced it first, no go. So I thought for sure it was the mb so I ordered one. Hooked it up, still no go(damn thing shipped from China so I had to wait forever to get it in; cheapest shipping but wasn't paying attention).

I have no idea what's causing this. I've already wasted $130 on this older system, but I really need this up and running, because it's gonna be another six months to a year before I step up to another computer.

I'm running windows xp on an anthlon 64 3400, gigabyte k8nf, 1g ram, radeon x800.

I really don't know what else to do so if someone could help me it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

subcategory only goes up to to F

peonjohn

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

Didn't know there was such a thing as short power. I figured since it got power it couldn't be the power supply. I'll try that and see what happens.

peonjohn

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

I have 350 watt psu that was from my last computer. I hooked it up but it is still doing the same thing. As soon as I flip the switch or as soon as the plug is in the computer everything powers up; lights, fans, hd, but still nothing happens.

I've tried moving the ram around. I've disconnected all the cards and drives and tried. I've removed the bios battery for a while. No idea whats causing it.

Hardware wise, I have replaced the cpu, the motherboard, and the psu.

I am at a complete loss here.

Could it possibly have something to do with the wiring?

The mobo could be the problem. Remove the mobo and check and verifies that it has no burnt spot weld, or that making contact with another.

Could be the wiring too, but the wiring of the start button, so, disconect the cable of the start button and conect the PC to power.

peonjohn

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

I checked the motherboards for burn marks and didn't find any. I tried disconnecting the start button wire but that didn't work.

I have two cases, two psu's, three motherboards(I found a gigabyte motherboard in my spare parts(the same damn one I just ordered so now I have two of the same), two cpus, two hdd, and two sticks of 512 pc3200 ram.

I have interchanged all of these parts, mix-matching every single one and I always get the same damn result. Powers up, the fans and lights come on, but nothing happens.

Could it possibly be the power cable? Maybe I'll try that. Otherwise, I have no idea.

Thanks for your help so far.

peonjohn

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

Went over to my neighbor's to borrow a power cable and he gave me a 450w psu to try also. None of these worked. I feel like an idiot trying power cables(I even tried different plugs in the house also making me feel like an idiot), but I'm at a complete lost with what to do next.

No, I don't have an ups or stabilizer.

I'm not the most tech savvy, but I know my way around a computer and have never had anything like this happen before. Everywhere else I have checked where people have had this problem, it was always either the mb, ram, or cpu that solved the problem. I've replaced all these(as well as psu, case wires(using different case), bios battery, and power cable) and still nothing.

MWunsch995

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Did you ever get this figured out? Mine is doing the exact same thing!