Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima+ Water Cooling Kit

mjevans

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
I purchased an Antec 12000 case (and the accompanying Antec 1000w psu in the combo deal), and would like to know if the Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima+ Water Cooling Kit will fit in this case. I have the Core i7 920 and 6gb of Corsair RAM. I plan on getting the MSI Eclipse mb, and the geforce 925 with water block (from Danger Den).

I'm new to both water cooling and system building, and despite reading everything I can find, I don't know if the Swiftech kit will fit the Antec case, or if is will be adequate for what I want to put together. The Newegg price, however, was just too good to pass up.

-The pump is not adequate for anything more than just the CPU block.
- There is no resevoir that I can see, but perhaps there's a small inline one there somewhere.

This is pretty much a low budget CPU-only kit from what I can see. It will probably fit your case... you'll have to mount the radiator outside of course.

You would need to have a stronger pump to get what you want... and probably a better radiator.

This is the one page that anyone researching water cooling should visit:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202394

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You're completely wrong, try doing some research before responding.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

The radiator won't fit internally in the rear, but it WILL fit externally in the rear. Better yet, it will PROBABLY fit internally in the front.

The pump is HUGE, unlike what the other guy said, and puts out relatively high pressure at high volume. The only cooling issues you might have are:

1.) The GPU cooler might be restrictive, which would affect velocity at the CPU block. I don't think you'll have a problem, but it is something to be aware of "just in case".
2.) The radiator isn't big enough to offer "ideal" temperatures for both the CPU and two GPU's (GTX 295). It is big enough to provide "adequate" temperatures, and you can always boost its performance slightly with higher-speed fans.

Personally, I'd add a second 2-fan radiator (without reservoir) to the rear of the case, assuming you can mount the included radiator internally at the front.

To make things simpler, I'd use a radiator with built-in top-tank reservoir at the rear, and get rid of the included reservoir.

Then, to make things really cool, I'd have the following order:

Pump->Front Radiator (intake fans)->CPU block->GPU block->Rear Radiator (exhaust fans)->Pump.

Doing it in that order should drop your water temperaturatures by around 10C -15C at the rear radiator and another 10C at the front radiator. The GPU will always be warm because it's getting water from the CPU block, but anything below around 65C is still great.

Those recommendations are for a CPU overclock of around 4-4.2GHz (depending on CPU stepping). If you plan to only go 3.8 to 4.0 GHz, you can probably get by with the single radiator due to the lower CPU voltage requirement (amperage and heat drop with lower voltage).

Well crap. I did a search for "H20-220" and came up with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108105&Tpk=H20-220

And thought I was looking at your cooler.

My apologies. I didn't even catch it until I read this line from Crashman:

"Pump->Front Radiator (intake fans)->CPU block->GPU block->Rear Radiator (exhaust fans)->Pump. "

I was like, "No the pump IS the CPU block." And then a re-read the title of the thread :p

Also, I looked closely at the smaller kit I linked and people actually like that water block/pump combo as well, though I haven't seen any actual numbers for larger loops with it, only what Swiftech claims.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

That explains EVERYTHING. The MCP350 and associated pumps are great for cooling a single-component, but a Core i7 would probably be about the limit. The MCP650 series are FREAKING HUGE. And the difference of course is H20-220 Apex series > H20-220 compact.

Newegg doesn't carry it any more, but since you seem to differ to Newegg results here's a Google cached copy:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:3Jt-BqPbne4J:www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx%3FSubmit%3DENE%26N%3D50001437%25204804%26name%3DSwiftech%2520Inc.+%22H20-220+Apex+Ultima%22+site:www.newegg.com&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us