Sign in with
Your question

Trading Computer

Last response: in Storage
November 17, 2010 8:09:06 AM

I've read the SSD article and would like to know what SSD you can recommend for a trading computer ?
Continuous internet datafeed flows into the application (Market Delta - below 10 Threads) and is processed to compute charts.
Daily flow is just 10-15MB but contains about 1 million ticks/quotes.
Database is compressed on daily basis and is now around 200 MB.

Because I want to buy 2 new computers advise in general like internal memory/processor speed is also very much appreciated.

The idea was an Icore7 /960 with 12GB and 2 Crucial 64GB realSSD in raid.

Rob

More about : trading computer

November 17, 2010 3:54:17 PM

Crucial's realSSDs are currently one of the top performers in the SSD market but I wouldn't recommend putting them in a raid 0. SSDs in general currently have some issues with being in a RAID and the main benefit would be throughput, which doesn't seem like an issue for your data usage.

The i7's are good processors but they are overkill for your needs. If you decide you like overkill (I know I do), you can get the i7-950 for about half the price of a i7-960 and the only difference is a 140 Mhz drop in speed.

I'm not very familiar with a trading computer but I don't think you will need 12GB of RAM. 6GB is more than enough for anything short of heavy video editing.

Keep in mind you will need a motherboard, graphics card, and power supply.

You will also probably want/need a data hard drive, a 64-bit operating system, a case, and an after market CPU cooler (if you intend on overclocking).
November 17, 2010 4:35:08 PM

subasteve5800 said:
Crucial's realSSDs are currently one of the top performers in the SSD market but I wouldn't recommend putting them in a raid 0. SSDs in general currently have some issues with being in a RAID and the main benefit would be throughput, which doesn't seem like an issue for your data usage.

The i7's are good processors but they are overkill for your needs. If you decide you like overkill (I know I do), you can get the i7-950 for about half the price of a i7-960 and the only difference is a 140 Mhz drop in speed.

I'm not very familiar with a trading computer but I don't think you will need 12GB of RAM. 6GB is more than enough for anything short of heavy video editing.

Keep in mind you will need a motherboard, graphics card, and power supply.

You will also probably want/need a data hard drive, a 64-bit operating system, a case, and an after market CPU cooler (if you intend on overclocking).

Of course I like overkill, who don't ?
Since I am a very consistent trader money is not a real issue but I like to have value for money.

It's not my first PC (changing every 2-3 years the setup) so yes I am aware of motherboard, graphics card (which will be a ATI Firepro 2460 ) and other stuff.

malmental says : I don't really see the benefit in my case" please explain why not ?

Rob

November 18, 2010 9:35:58 AM

Becuse of al the wrtiing and deleting you will be doing I would stay with hard drives in a raid setup for now. Until the TRIM functions get better....just get the fastes hards available.

I would however get a 120 gb SSD for your OS.
!