Sign in with
Your question

My friend and his upgrade to a 9800GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 4, 2009 12:55:52 PM

sorry i somehow couldnt see the other topic i made on this and neither could my friend--we both got a blank screen.

he has a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ which is clocked at its default 1.9ghz and 2.5gb of ram which he is upgrading to 4 gb's of ram. he also wants to purchase a GTS 250 or 9800 GT, both by nvidia. would his processor be able to handle this or would it cause a bottleneck? what are your thoughts.

i'm not to familiar with AMD's so i thought i'd ask you guys.

thanks!

More about : friend upgrade 9800gt

May 5, 2009 4:42:03 AM

The processor would bottleneck the graphics card. I suggest u upgrade your processor to a PhenomII or overclock the Athlon processor.I would purchase a Phenom II since it is would give better performance.
a c 169 U Graphics card
May 5, 2009 7:22:30 AM

What resolution does he play ?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2009 8:11:46 AM

Any reason why he wants to buy only nvidia? theres plenty of options on the market! but there not a bad card

On the other hand iv been avoiding nvidia with all the issues they have had - even my shop front sees too many DOA's and issues with the 8 and 9 series (doesnt seem to show up in the 9500 and GTX2xx series tho etc)

As for the 3600+ processor yes - its going to kill the performance of those cards easily - you need a faster cpu for anything serious, check what your motherboard can support and go from there.
June 3, 2009 6:22:43 PM

To be honest, it will bottleneck his 9800 gt. if he upgrades to a 2.5 ghz he will see a very large improvement, guranteed.

Now, a GTS 250 is basically a rebadged 9800 GTX. which is even stronger than a 9800 GT, higher clock speeds and more stream processors. I Recommend he stick to his 9800 GT and get a Athlon 5400+ x2.

As for the guy who said nvidia is sending out DoA's. its not nvidia's fault you're recieving DoA's. its more likely you need to find a better freighter.
June 3, 2009 6:25:14 PM

abhijith said:
The processor would bottleneck the graphics card. I suggest u upgrade your processor to a PhenomII or overclock the Athlon processor.I would purchase a Phenom II since it is would give better performance.

To be honest, unless his friend is gaming on a 25" monitor or higher, he doesn't need Phenom 2 or a Phenom, he'll be fine with just a dual core, aslong as its in the 2.5-3.0 ghz range.

June 3, 2009 7:06:17 PM

Just go with the 9800 and upgrade the processor when you can. If we over analyze yes it might bottleneck at high resolutions but it would still yield better performance. Just make sure he has a decent PSU.
June 3, 2009 8:34:25 PM

xelviel said:
To be honest, unless his friend is gaming on a 25" monitor or higher, he doesn't need Phenom 2 or a Phenom, he'll be fine with just a dual core, aslong as its in the 2.5-3.0 ghz range.

The likes of GTA IV beg to differ....splashing cash on a dual core atm is just a bad idea imo....i would save that 60$ and how ever much a 9800gt costs and put that in a little fund callled future proofing and buying smart....

If i where you petmyhat i would take a look at a 4650 card....sure it won't rock any resolution above 1440x900/1280x1024 very well but its surely enough to tide you over whilst you work for the cash to get a new top range build....depending on how hard you can overclock your cpu it would run the latest games quite well...Fallout 3 is a dream on my 2.6GHZ AMD X2 so if you can get close to that hell yeah]

Save up for that Phenom II...
June 3, 2009 9:11:50 PM

This is also an option. This would give you the most rounded performance/vested dollar ratio short term.
Above I said just go with the 9800 but I am more so now leaning towards what labs said. The whole rig needs to be overhauled but this would get you by until funds are plentiful enough to start a new project.
!