ASUS P6T V2 - won't boot

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Asus
  • Western Digital
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
April 13, 2009 2:53:54 AM

I just completed a new build - Antec 900, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 - OCZ 3x2GB 10666 memory, i7 920, Noctua CPU cooler, Western Digital 1TB Green HD, Lightscribe 22x DVD, Sapphire Radeon 4850 with 1GB of DDR5 and an Asus Sonar sound card. When I turn on the system I have several problems. 1) No matter how many memory cards I stick in not all of them are recognized in the Asus BIOS config screens - sticking in all three tells me I have 4GB of RAM (am using A1, B1 and C1 - the orange slots), using 2 (A1 and B1) tells me I have 2GB or RAM and with one I get nada 2) When I try to use Sata and AHCI in the BIOS config both the WD and Lightscribe drives are seen, but the WD doesn't show all of it's characteristics, when I use IDE I can see all the formatting characteristics of the WD drive, but it still doesn't allow me to install Windows 64 Home. The third issue is the worst - I can insert a Vista 64 home CD and see the contents of the CD, but cannot double click the setup exe to install Windows - same issue with the Asus setup CD - I can see the contents, but cannot double click Assetup.exe in the Bin folder for example. When I do insert a CD it takes a long time before the contents display. The version of Windows 64 Home is the DSP version and I've been told it will install just like any other so I do not believe this is the issue as I cannot get the DVD drive to access any of the Asus setup files on that CD either. Any ideas how I can get past this problem?

More about : asus p6t boot

April 13, 2009 3:49:40 AM

Checkout the checklist, also try resetting the cmos and the jumpers.

Then try running the pc with just one ram and then formatting and updating the bios might recognize it. If it doesn't contact ASUS their very friendly people, if they cant resolve your problem try to RMA it.

Also try to right click and access it as an administrator.
April 13, 2009 8:20:47 PM

thx Sassan - stupid question, but how do I format the WD drive without anything installed? I don't see where to do that in the Asus BIOS setup. As explained below when I select IDE as the harddrive format I can see all the characteristics of the drive, but cannot get Windows to load - just see all the files on the CD, but cannot start anything. All the documentation I've been able to access tells me I need a bootable diskette, but I didn't install a diskette drive as I didn't think I'd need one and the thing won't boot from the Windows DSP CD I have. I'm not an expert builder as this is my first one, but it looks like everything else works and is connected properly - all ports work - lights on, etc. Just cannot get OS to load and it may be because I don't know how to format the HD.

chk414 said:
I just completed a new build - Antec 900, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 - OCZ 3x2GB 10666 memory, i7 920, Noctua CPU cooler, Western Digital 1TB Green HD, Lightscribe 22x DVD, Sapphire Radeon 4870 with 1GB of DDR5 and an Asus Sonar sound card. When I turn on the system I have several problems. 1) No matter how many memory cards I stick in not all of them are recognized in the Asus BIOS config screens - sticking in all three tells me I have 4GB of RAM (am using A1, B1 and C1 - the orange slots), using 2 (A1 and B1) tells me I have 2GB or RAM and with one I get nada 2) When I try to use Sata and AHCI in the BIOS config both the WD and Lightscribe drives are seen, but the WD doesn't show all of it's characteristics, when I use IDE I can see all the formatting characteristics of the WD drive, but it still doesn't allow me to install Windows 64 Home. The third issue is the worst - I can insert a Vista 64 home CD and see the contents of the CD, but cannot double click the setup exe to install Windows - same issue with the Asus setup CD - I can see the contents, but cannot double click Assetup.exe in the Bin folder for example. When I do insert a CD it takes a long time before the contents display. The version of Windows 64 Home is the DSP version and I've been told it will install just like any other so I do not believe this is the issue as I cannot get the DVD drive to access any of the Asus setup files on that CD either. Any ideas how I can get past this problem?

Related resources
April 13, 2009 8:25:13 PM

So you don't have an OS installed? or you do?
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 13, 2009 8:28:39 PM

You should set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device, put your Vista disk in, restart your computer, and boot from the Vista disk. It should then go through the initial setup and ask you which drive you want to install the OS on. That screen also has the option to format the disk.
April 13, 2009 8:35:22 PM

No OS installed - clean build - all new components
April 13, 2009 8:38:25 PM

Did set the boot string to CD drive first in the BIOS setup. Still won't boot - even when I click the OS button in the Asus setup screen - DOS pops up and keeps telling me to insert a bootable CD into the drive or something like that. Windows 64 Home is in the drive, but it isn't recognizing it. I can see the contents of the drive and Setup.exe, plus Win 64 and Win 32 also both have exe's, but I cannot double click on any of them
April 13, 2009 8:38:58 PM

Read the manual should have better detail there for your motherboard.

Here are the steps you should follow:

1. Turn on the computer make sure everything is plugged in right.

2. When it's turning on push Delete (usually for asus) and then it will go to bios which will help you change settings for your system.

3.Use your keyboard and go to BOOT

4. Now follow the instructions on the screen and make your DVD/CD drive boot first.

5. Put your OS disk in the drive.

6. Save the settings and it should restart.

You will be prompted to push any button to go into installation.

Should be straight forward after that.

Best of luck
April 13, 2009 8:50:59 PM

Disable the Ready boost, cause when you click OS it tries to load a OS which obviously is not there. You need to just boot with the CD drive 1st boot device and ready boost off, and the disk will take off automatically.
April 13, 2009 8:56:11 PM

Is the Ready boost in the BIOS setup? I don't see that in the Asus manual. I won't be able to get back to it until the weekend as I have to leave now, but thanks for the assistance.
Anonymous
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 29, 2012 2:10:59 PM

thank you so much !