Sign in with
Your question

New PC Build Turns On and Off Repeatedly -No Video

Last response: in CPUs
July 17, 2009 3:23:13 AM

I just completed building a new computer using a EX58-UD4P mobo with an Intel i7 920 chip. Upon turning on, the computer turns on then off repeatedly with about 2 seconds between each action. There is no video output. When I remove the RAM, the computer remains running when it is turned on but still no video. I found the on-off sequence occurs when a stick of memory is in 3 of the 6 RAM slots but it will run with no video when the RMA is in the other 3 slots. I have removed the motherboard from the case and tested on cardboard with the same results as mentioned above. I had a similar problem a while back and RMAed the mobo and CPU but I am still encountering the same issue. Assuming neither the Mobo or CPU are the problem points, I am assuming it must be the power supply (Corsair 750W) or the Corsair memory. However, I seriously doubt all three sticks would be bad. Any suggestions???
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2009 3:38:27 AM

Try to test the sticks somewhere else. Like you however, I'm assuming something's wrong with the power supply. In any case, you've gone through all of this right?
July 18, 2009 3:24:15 AM

I bought and tested a new power supply and the same problem occurred. I am going to return the mobo for lucky number 3 unless there are additional recommendations.
Related resources
July 18, 2009 3:35:38 AM

If you have tried all 3 sticks individually in all 6 slots (that's 12 possibilities) and the same happens then it's most likely the motherboard.

PSU, CPU and graphics card have all very low DOA rates.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2009 3:00:08 PM

I bet its incompatible memory. No way two mobos and 2 cpus are bad.
July 19, 2009 6:17:19 PM

I had a similar issue on an AMD machine. Turned out the be the keyboard...

Somehow, it was cycling the power while connected to the PS2 port. It worked fine for about a week, then one day while I was playing a game, the system just died like I had a power failure. Afterward, the PC entered into an endless cycle of "Tink, Tink, Tink" noises as it powered up and down every second or two. I tore it down and as I connected the KB via PS2, it instantly powered up. I killed power immediately. I then connected an older, PS2-only keyboard and the problem disappeared. When I connected the new keyboard via USB, I had no problems. But, anytime I connect it via PS2, it instantly powers up the machine, and will randomly kill the power to it. Once that happens, the "Tink, Tink, Tink" noises return.

With 6 LED fans and 2 strips of LED lighting, it creates a wonderful light show. :) 
September 15, 2010 1:27:04 PM

I got the same problem. During the build (MSI P-55-GD65 mobo with an IntelIcore i5 cpu) and without a HDD at this point, I powered up to check the fans. As stated above, upon turning on, the computer turns on then off repeatedly with about 2 seconds between each action. I removed the PSU (Dynex 400watt) and tried to power it up by itself, and it appears totally dead.
September 15, 2010 3:03:14 PM

did u check the compatible memory with the mobo m8?

Pretty much as mentioned earlier if u tried the 12 possibilities with the 3 ram sticks, its only the mobo..
September 15, 2010 7:06:56 PM

This might be best done with all the parts removed from the case and laid out neatly on a table/workbench. You can use the motherboard box or packaging to support it.

Strip it down to bare it's essentials - CPU, 1 RAM module, video card. (No keyboard.)
Clear the CMOS.
Power it up.

If it POSTs, you're doing great. Power down and begin adding additional components one at a time and retesting.
If it doesn't POST, power down and if available, try a 2nd RAM module.
If it still won't POST, one of the 5 components (PSU, CPU, motherboard, RAM, video card) is either bad or connected improperly.
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2010 8:06:42 PM

Make sure you have RAM rated at no more than 1.65 volts. I purchased DDR3 RAM that I thought would work, and it did the same thing. Turns out it was RAM intended for the LGA775 socket, and ran at 1.7-1.9 volts. The only way I could get the PC out of the turn on turn off loop was to overclock and overvolt the RAM. I returned the RAM and got proper core i7 RAM rated to run at 1.65 volts and all was good.
August 20, 2012 3:07:59 PM

wagnrd5 said:
I just completed building a new computer using a EX58-UD4P mobo with an Intel i7 920 chip. Upon turning on, the computer turns on then off repeatedly with about 2 seconds between each action. There is no video output. When I remove the RAM, the computer remains running when it is turned on but still no video. I found the on-off sequence occurs when a stick of memory is in 3 of the 6 RAM slots but it will run with no video when the RMA is in the other 3 slots. I have removed the motherboard from the case and tested on cardboard with the same results as mentioned above. I had a similar problem a while back and RMAed the mobo and CPU but I am still encountering the same issue. Assuming neither the Mobo or CPU are the problem points, I am assuming it must be the power supply (Corsair 750W) or the Corsair memory. However, I seriously doubt all three sticks would be bad. Any suggestions???

I also have the same problem after built a new computer having MSI H61M-E23 (G3) mainboard and Intel Core i3 2120 CPU connected, and 4GB 1333MHz memory DDR3. After I press the power button the system runs for 10 minutes then turns off itself (completely) for 5 minutes repeatidly but doesn't POST and no video signal output no Beep. I removed the Memory so i got the same problem except the system did Beep 3 times the last three seconds while it's running.
November 28, 2012 1:52:25 PM

I know this is old but this fixed the problem for me:
I know this is an old post, but it's a common problem. One of the best things is to put new heat compound on the fan/CPU. Take off the old compound first (the OEM compound usually isn't enough) with a few alcohol pads (until it's completely clean) and then put a good bit of the new stuff (not enough to over flow over the sides) to cover the entire processor. Put the fan back on and snap it down. That usually does the trick.
November 29, 2012 8:57:18 AM

Later I fixed the problem, I replaced the RAM memory with a same specifications new one but other brand of manufacturer. Yes, the memory was the cause but I never imagined that because the new one is the same size and speed except the manufacturer. As soon as I replaced it, the PC worked correctly. In this case you can not say temperature is the reason, mavrick88, because that PC (my case) did not run. If high temperature is the reason you should wait for your PC running for a while until the CPU goes hot enough to cause a problem or shutting down the system. Maybe the heat sink and cooler (in your case) was not installed correctly?
!