Making Zalman Fan Shine

inspector71

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Hello , I just wanted to know whats the best technique to get my copper looking shiney and new again on my zalman fan.It has gotten a very dull look to it over the past year and a half i want the copper to shine again.

Hopefully it's just dust & dirt, not kitchen or tobacco smoke :). Anyway, IIRC my Zalman came with a printed guide and I think they had some cleaning instructions on it. Try checking Zalman's website. Bare copper tends to oxidize green so it's probably coated with some clearcoat - you don't want to dissolve that with some solvent. I'd try soaking it in soapy water overnight, assuming you have removed it from the CPU and taken the fan off :). Make sure you rinse and dry it thoroughly before reinstalling...

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
If it's not dust, but black oxidised copper, I used a small strip of coarse sand paper to reach in between the fins to clean them. Although time consuming it's sometimes worth the effort.

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
If I forget copper coins in my pockets when washing they come out shining like new. Also i often use window cleaner to clean thermal paste from heatsiks and the ones that contain vinegar makes them shining like new. So You could use any cleaner that contains acid like window cleaner, batroom cleaner, limescale remover ect. Just dont forget to rinse it well afterwards or it will start coroding very fast. By the way i do have one zalman copper cooler that i do not use I think it is 9500. I will give that a try and post back for You if You are afraid to damage Yours.