P7P55D LE RAID 5 failing

Tags:
  • Asus
  • NAS / RAID
  • Windows 7
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
September 30, 2009 10:31:01 PM

I have just built this new rig using Windows 7 64bit. Shortly after I started to get drives falling out of the RAID 5, I have used these drives for over 3 years in a RAID 5 and never had a problem before until recently. Considering I started to have this type of problem on my last PC and after doing some research. I seen where they can time out becasue of error correction and then the RAID drops the drive.

So I decided to purchase new hard drives that are Raid Editions so I know it couldn't be a timing issue. Well after one day it happened again, so I let the RAID rebuild and it happened again a few hours later.

I sent ASUS support an email but when Ill get a response is anyone guess.

Has anyone encountered a problem like this before with these new 1156 boards? I already updated all the drivers and bios from their website. Intel Matrix storage console version is 8.9.0.1023

For now Im going to try dropping to a RAID 1 or even single JOBD. I also have a RAID 1 that hasnt had any problems on the same machine. These drives are WD 1TB Green drives.

MB: ASUS P7P55D LE
CPU: i7 860
Mem: G.Skil 8GB
HD: WD 320GB RE3 x3

More about : p7p55d raid failing

October 1, 2009 2:22:57 AM

I'd call Western Digital's Tech Support first:
they have probably built one or two LGA1156 machines
by now.

There might be something spurious, such as a
TRIM command being sent to the IMSC.

I always get a prompt reply from WD's Tech Support.

MRFS
m
l
October 10, 2009 5:10:31 PM

whataboutbob said:
I have just built this new rig using Windows 7 64bit. Shortly after I started to get drives falling out of the RAID 5, I have used these drives for over 3 years in a RAID 5 and never had a problem before until recently. Considering I started to have this type of problem on my last PC and after doing some research. I seen where they can time out becasue of error correction and then the RAID drops the drive.

So I decided to purchase new hard drives that are Raid Editions so I know it couldn't be a timing issue. Well after one day it happened again, so I let the RAID rebuild and it happened again a few hours later.

I sent ASUS support an email but when Ill get a response is anyone guess.

Has anyone encountered a problem like this before with these new 1156 boards? I already updated all the drivers and bios from their website. Intel Matrix storage console version is 8.9.0.1023

For now Im going to try dropping to a RAID 1 or even single JOBD. I also have a RAID 1 that hasnt had any problems on the same machine. These drives are WD 1TB Green drives.

MB: ASUS P7P55D LE
CPU: i7 860
Mem: G.Skil 8GB
HD: WD 320GB RE3 x3

m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2009 5:14:45 PM

Hi

I am using windows xp pro sp3 32bit. Have recently built a RAID 01 with four one tb drives. I have the same issue. Twice now the Sys has dropped a drive indicating it is faulty. Upon testing the drive I find it is okay. The drives are brand new identical Seagate.
m
l

Best solution

October 10, 2009 5:32:15 PM

DONT USE 8.9 MATRIX its full of bugs.. use 8.8 matrix drivers

problem solved...

I installed 8.9 a month ago and I had one of my raid 0 drives drop out... sigh
October 14, 2009 8:31:54 PM

Well I've been using a RAID 1 setup for about 2 weeks now and haven't had any problems. If the 8.8 drivers are compatible with Windows 7 I'll give that a try.
m
l
October 24, 2009 2:37:37 PM

Using a Raid 5 using the 8.8 drivers for about a week now and haven't had the problem.
m
l
October 24, 2009 10:34:54 PM

It took a while but I finally narrowed my problem down to a bad motherboard. I exchanged it and I have no problems now. I have been running RAID 01 for a week with the 8.9 drivers.
m
l
October 25, 2009 1:09:59 AM

some motherboards have issues with 8.9 I installed them and on my first reboot I had a raid 0 drive fall out and lost my OS partition.

i used backup... updated to 8.9 again... crashed again after 24 hours.

with 8.8 I've never had a failure.
m
l
January 23, 2010 1:06:28 PM

After reading this topic I decided to post a message to this topic about my motherboard.
I almost have the same specs as Stevieray, only an other HDD and less RAM.
My problem with the motherboard:

The graphics card I have is a XFX ATI HD5850 Black Edition and it's a card with PCIe 2.0 connection.
My motherboard; ASUS P7P55D LE, has 2 PCIe 2.0 slots, but the Catalyst Control Center of the graphics card says that
the graphics card is inserted in a PCIe x4 slot. ?????? that's really strange.
If there is anyone who has the same problem; please respond.

Thanks in advance.
m
l
June 30, 2010 9:24:48 AM

topic Random drive fails with new Matrix Storage Manager 8.9

The Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.9 has been replaced by: Intel Rapid Storage Technology and the current version is 9.6.

see http://communities.intel.com/thread/5036

In 2010 intel renamed the Intel Matrix Raid to Intel Rapid Storage Technology and replaced the graphical userinterface with a simpler and less advanced version.

m
l
!